Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"looks Good"---I like those words

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 124 Total Views
1 mom liked this

This morning headed out early to meet up with Joe on the train for his oncologist's appt.

Well after having new nurses, who of course, assumed I was his wife and started asking me the questions.We straightened out that they were to ask Joe the questions, since he was able to speak and knew all going on. They took his brief history.. and then stepped out.

We waited over 1 hour for the dr to come into the exam room... and the nurse who normally checks in Joe also entered. I think I may have actually noted Joe to relax a bit. She knows the family dynamics..as does the dr.

He started by chatting with joe a bit, then took a scope and gently checked out his stoma. And kept saying "Looks pretty good.  Looks Good."  He looked around in a few more places, saying the same thing. 

I took that to be pretty good but I didn't want to jump the guy as to what he meant.

After checking everything over, he again sat down, said things looked good and then proceeded to bring up Advanced Directives in case of a medical crisis.  The example he gave Joe, basically scared Joe but sadly, it is an event that can happen. He said "much later, but you need to have your wishes made known to your family"

So generally, it was a visit with a positive spin. 
It seems the cancer spots are stagnant.. or at least not growing or new ones found.

So the treatment plan still appears to be agreeable amongst all the drs.

On the train ride home, I double checked with Joe that the things I heard, was actually what he heard as well.  He said yes.

I asked him if he was happy with the visit and he gave me the "yes/no" shrug.

He will have another round of chemo in a few weeks, I believe and then he goes back to Philly the beginning of Aug.

Bren

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I'm glad that the appointment was overall positive. They seem to push those advance directives, as they ask my dh about one all the time.

firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Well, the news definitely wasn't devastating.  Hopefully the spots remain stagnant and give way to the chemo and are squashed.  Seems like time is on his side right now.  Praying it continues to be that way. 

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I am glad they are going to make sure his advanced directives are discussed and known

There is no way our father would believe my sis and I that he does not want anything done.

This way, it has been voiced... and we are all on the same page.

sonogal
by Baby Diva on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I guess as a parent it would be difficult to see your child with a terminal illness and know that it is his choice to discontinue treatment...so I can understand where your Dad's reluctance to believe it. Joe is lucky to have you for a sister...you are able to help him understand the medical mumbo jumbo. Continued prayers, Bren.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

that was good news...they do really push for advance directives now..and it's a good thing..prevents hurt feelings later...and makes sure the patient gets the care that they want not what others think it should be..

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM

My dad just called me again about the advanced directives

He believes HE has to give them to my brother... told him NO that is the drs job..not ours.

This way, they can explain all the options.... so he can make an informed decision.

ONCE again stressing to our Dad that he steps out of the appt so Joe can talk freely with the dr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)