Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More fires...Ugh

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 169 Total Views

This is a pic of the town I live in.  It was taken from the top of a hill facing north at 5:15 this afternoon when the smoke started rolling in.  This fire that the smoke is from is only about 25 miles north of where I'm at now and there is nothing out there but prairie.  All the yellow hills you see is dry prairie grass...as you can see we have had no moisture and the grass is dormant, dry, and just food for a fire.  All of these dry lightning storms we have been getting are causing these fires.  We now have 6 fires burning in and around the hills and western South Dakota...that we know of.  Our fire crews are maxed out.  I sure hope the ranches to the north survive this fire...and no one is injured fighting it...and that it doesn't come south.

I was just told it is 8 fires to the north which brings the fire total to 13

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

OHH no!!! be safe!

firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I should be ok where I am at...My dd's house borders a field at the beginning of the prairie.  If it runs south...their sub division could be affected...Hopefully it stays far north though.  She is about 1 mile north and a half mile east of me

Quoting BrenMOM:

OHH no!!! be safe!

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

oh hell no Mousie...hope it stays the hell away from you guys!! Be safe and I will be saying prayers for the firefighters...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Prayers that these fires get put out soon and that everyone and everything survives. This must be hell on people with respiratory issues.

HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Wow, the recent stroms have caused several lightening fires here..right in the middle of the city . Last week we had a home and a church both go up in flames.  A 20 y/o lost her life trying to save her bedridden grandfather from the home..  Heartbreaking.  Be safe Michelle! 

firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

That is just horrible.  I feel so bad for her. Hoping to hear that the fires to the north were caught quickly.  Not as smokey out today...but that could just be because the wind changed direction.

Quoting HEAVNLI1:

Wow, the recent stroms have caused several lightening fires here..right in the middle of the city . Last week we had a home and a church both go up in flames.  A 20 y/o lost her life trying to save her bedridden grandfather from the home..  Heartbreaking.  Be safe Michelle! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN