Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job search frustration (long as usual)

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

I'm doing the next right thing and applying for work everyday. Most jobs I am applying for are entry level, just to get my foot in the door, even though I have management experience. I just want a job. Now the holiday hiring has started in retail and I've applied for those jobs, as well. At the end of the application process, you have to fill out a survey asking if you're a veteran or have received FS or welfare. The answer to those questions is no. They get a nice tax break for hiring people who can answer yes to those questions, so I'm being turned down. Everyone and their dog keeps telling me they are hiring for xmas. Talk about depressing to say, no I'm not even being considered for that. 

I was excited about a job reply I got the other day and filled out the subsequent forms online, so I could be scheduled for an interview and then I got to the part where they wanted me to run a credit check and put the confirmation number in one of the lines. I got to the credit report screen for an independent company and they say the report is free and then want a credit or debit card number, so I can become a member. I thought, if I put this in and give a confirmation number to the interviewer, the application has all my valuable information, and I have not received a job offer, so it just seems to me that this might be a slick new way of conducting identity theft. I was suspicious because the person who sent the email didn't have local presence here in my city. Grrr! These are just some of the problems I'm encountering, but not all of them. I'm just very frustrated and getting depressed.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It is tough all over out there still...even harder for someone our age.  Don't allow it to keep you down though...someone out there will appreciate the experience in both work and life that you bring to the table.  I know your frustration...but He will provide the right job at just the right time.

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

At the end of the application process, you have to fill out a survey asking if you're a veteran or have received FS or welfare. The answer to those questions is no. They get a nice tax break for hiring people who can answer yes to those questions, so I'm being turned down.

We were on it/using it and I STILL didn't get hired so don't bet on that....  I know exactly how ya feel as I have been applying daily and dh has been applying (he even put out close to 100 in 1day!!!) It's the end of the year so some comp. are just taking aps now for hiring after the 1st of the year-budgets open up... so stupid...grrr...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Sep. 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I know I'm not in this sinking boat alone. I've been talking to God and asking for a job that will let me serve others in any capacity He see's fit. I am just frustrated.

Quoting firemouse23:

It is tough all over out there still...even harder for someone our age.  Don't allow it to keep you down though...someone out there will appreciate the experience in both work and life that you bring to the table.  I know your frustration...but He will provide the right job at just the right time.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Sep. 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I'd really like to know what it is they are looking for. I have experience and it's only holiday work I'm looking for with retail, so they don't have to worry that I want a career where they'll train me and I'll leave. I know those of us looking are trying and I can't imagine applying to 100 places in a day. I think I have to make a list of temp services in my area and get on the phone this week and make appointments. I used to see a lot of job leads with temp services, but I haven't seen many lately.

Quoting starlight1968:

At the end of the application process, you have to fill out a survey asking if you're a veteran or have received FS or welfare. The answer to those questions is no. They get a nice tax break for hiring people who can answer yes to those questions, so I'm being turned down.

We were on it/using it and I STILL didn't get hired so don't bet on that....  I know exactly how ya feel as I have been applying daily and dh has been applying (he even put out close to 100 in 1day!!!) It's the end of the year so some comp. are just taking aps now for hiring after the 1st of the year-budgets open up... so stupid...grrr...

HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You definitely did the right thing in not giving out your info to a third party.

Here in Ky if a company wants a credit check they pay for it.  Much like the drug screen and physicals.  Keep your head up sister... you will find something. 

HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Just an idea... and sometimes I can color outside the lines a bit.... but both my boys got their current jobs after taking my advice to go out the the places they applied to and handing them a little " calling card" that I printed for them.  They looked like a business card but basically said... " Hi, My name is _______________  I applied to your company online and would love the chance to interview with you in person at your earliest convenience.  You can reach me at (123)456-7890."

Lots of people apply online and sometimes folks still ike to see that you are motivated enough to get out there and make the extra effort.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I think some face to face meetings could be helpful. At the very minimum it will be good to get out of the house. I like the idea of handing them a card. So many things are wrong in my life right now that are out of my control and I'm getting really depressed. The people around me don't know how bad I'm internalizing things, because it really doesn't solve a thing and moods are so contagious that I don't want to inflict that on others. What I'm doing isn't working, so I appreciate any suggestions to a positive approach. Seems like everyone I'm talking to that's job searching is in the same boat.

Quoting HEAVNLI1:

Just an idea... and sometimes I can color outside the lines a bit.... but both my boys got their current jobs after taking my advice to go out the the places they applied to and handing them a little " calling card" that I printed for them.  They looked like a business card but basically said... " Hi, My name is _______________  I applied to your company online and would love the chance to interview with you in person at your earliest convenience.  You can reach me at (123)456-7890."

Lots of people apply online and sometimes folks still ike to see that you are motivated enough to get out there and make the extra effort.

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Good luck!   I tried looking for work, and even with my experience and training, education and all, I couldn't even get my resume considered. Age makes a big difference.   Hub doesn't want me working due to my disabilities, even if they don't rate official "disability" status. 

A good company can run their own credit checks and it is more official if they do. I would be VERY wary of any company that wanted you to do it, esp if you have to pay for it. I've been a victim of identity theft and it is very hard to recover from.  You should never have to shell out money for a legitamate job application.   Many of those non-local "have we got a job for you" and want such things  are scams, usually pyramid schemes and many illegal.  Be careful of those.  

~ Lisa: aka Lizbeth. Homeschooler mom, trucker wife, group admin "wives of truck drivers" and "Sisterhood & Friendship", nearly 50 with Parkinson's and other things, insatiable cook, author, workout freak, inundated with hobbies, Pink Hatter of the Red Hat Society, Druidic/Tao-istic philosophies in belief, addicted to coffee, big time Dr Who fan. Blogs: http://www.grillintheroad.com & http://www.thistlerosestudio.com 

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I know that age plays a factor and people who are younger or have less education don't want to hire someone who could take their job. These employers don't even know how old I am because I don't ever put high school, just my undergrad and graduate school dates are on my resume, which are 2007 & 2010. I also have an advanced concentration and experience in HR, so I knew better than to enter info the way they wanted it. It was a slick way to get my info. I swear they're staying up nights thinking of new ways to harm desperate people. It's just pathetic that so many of us with skills and experience would be drama free, awesome workers if given the chance.

Quoting RedHeadedLizzy:

Good luck!   I tried looking for work, and even with my experience and training, education and all, I couldn't even get my resume considered. Age makes a big difference.   Hub doesn't want me working due to my disabilities, even if they don't rate official "disability" status. 

A good company can run their own credit checks and it is more official if they do. I would be VERY wary of any company that wanted you to do it, esp if you have to pay for it. I've been a victim of identity theft and it is very hard to recover from.  You should never have to shell out money for a legitamate job application.   Many of those non-local "have we got a job for you" and want such things  are scams, usually pyramid schemes and many illegal.  Be careful of those.  

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Indeed, I don't put my age-telling info on my resumes either.   Maybe the amount of experience is telling.  

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

I know that age plays a factor and people who are younger or have less education don't want to hire someone who could take their job. These employers don't even know how old I am because I don't ever put high school, just my undergrad and graduate school dates are on my resume, which are 2007 & 2010. I also have an advanced concentration and experience in HR, so I knew better than to enter info the way they wanted it. It was a slick way to get my info. I swear they're staying up nights thinking of new ways to harm desperate people. It's just pathetic that so many of us with skills and experience would be drama free, awesome workers if given the chance.

Quoting RedHeadedLizzy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)