Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job search frustration (long as usual)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm doing the next right thing and applying for work everyday. Most jobs I am applying for are entry level, just to get my foot in the door, even though I have management experience. I just want a job. Now the holiday hiring has started in retail and I've applied for those jobs, as well. At the end of the application process, you have to fill out a survey asking if you're a veteran or have received FS or welfare. The answer to those questions is no. They get a nice tax break for hiring people who can answer yes to those questions, so I'm being turned down. Everyone and their dog keeps telling me they are hiring for xmas. Talk about depressing to say, no I'm not even being considered for that. 

I was excited about a job reply I got the other day and filled out the subsequent forms online, so I could be scheduled for an interview and then I got to the part where they wanted me to run a credit check and put the confirmation number in one of the lines. I got to the credit report screen for an independent company and they say the report is free and then want a credit or debit card number, so I can become a member. I thought, if I put this in and give a confirmation number to the interviewer, the application has all my valuable information, and I have not received a job offer, so it just seems to me that this might be a slick new way of conducting identity theft. I was suspicious because the person who sent the email didn't have local presence here in my city. Grrr! These are just some of the problems I'm encountering, but not all of them. I'm just very frustrated and getting depressed.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-14):
sonogal
by Baby Diva on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish I could help. I'm saying a prayer for a position to open up for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally find that the on-line applications are a disservice to both the person looking for work and the employer. Answers on a piece of a computerized application does not show personality or desire.

I realized how ridiculous this was, when Rachel applied to be a bagger at Target and was denied... or a breakfast buffet server at a hotel.   Where did get her first real job was after a face-to-face interview from an old fashioned tourist sight here.

I would say, bang on doors, leave personal messages, like mentioned... ask for a person to contact and then call every day.

Told my girls.. you are not bugging them, but showing a true interest.

ChikSlim
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I am going thru the same thing. I get up every morning and head straight to the computer as if I'm going to work. I've applied to tons of places, went to tons of temp agencies and even actual companies that I knew had vacancies, and they all say I have to apply online, huh? I feel like I'm in your actual presence because I would like to discuss my skills and how I can be an asset in person and ur still going to tell me to go home and apply online? This sucks ass!

I have an interview coming up for a major transportation company and I hope all goes well, but then the thing with that is there are 1500 other unemployed mofos applying for the same job so that makes competition super intense. I'm trying to keep the faith but it's really hard when you have two young kids who are looking forward to having something under the xmas tree in a few months...

I just don't know what else to do at this point... 

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I agree that being in front of someone is the better way. The temp services could at least size you up and get a feel for the companies they represent and know which culture you are likely to fit into. It's also such a horrible feeling to know you are doing the best you can do and it still isn't enough when it comes to doing things for your children. I feel badly because I am not able to offer a little financial help to kids who are in college and would be grateful for anything sent their way. Little kids and Christmas though is enough to make a parent feel just awful. I'm at least grateful that mine are older and understand. 

Quoting ChikSlim:

I am going thru the same thing. I get up every morning and head straight to the computer as if I'm going to work. I've applied to tons of places, went to tons of temp agencies and even actual companies that I knew had vacancies, and they all say I have to apply online, huh? I feel like I'm in your actual presence because I would like to discuss my skills and how I can be an asset in person and ur still going to tell me to go home and apply online? This sucks ass!

I have an interview coming up for a major transportation company and I hope all goes well, but then the thing with that is there are 1500 other unemployed mofos applying for the same job so that makes competition super intense. I'm trying to keep the faith but it's really hard when you have two young kids who are looking forward to having something under the xmas tree in a few months...

I just don't know what else to do at this point... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)