Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother bear instincts kicking in

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 194 Total Views

So my oldest was here a couple of weeks ago. The new corporate owners of his business wanted to charge full price rent for him to continue living over the business and they wanted him to take out a half a million dollar renter's insurance policy. He moved back home to help out around here financially.

They suspended his apprenticeship because he was going to school. He was still working about 30 hours per week, AND they hired a new apprentice. Then they decided to give the girl his hours and put him on call status. They had written him up for refusing to go on calls at night during National Guard drill weekends.

After almost a year of doing his apprenticeship, he's lost everything. If he wanted to switch to a new place, he'd have to start over from day one and do a completely new apprenticeship. I asked if he had other issues around there and the answer was no. He was Johnny on the Spot for them. He was told it was about saving money. Now he's so fed up, that he just wants out and is going to contact a VA unemployment rep to see if he can receive unemployment and next term he's going to take classes online. He is looking for a federal job or to see if he can go full time active duty National Guard and get a day job working for them. Nice way to treat a veteran.

Honestly, I think if he gets out of the industry completely that he should get a JAG attorney and file charges against those assholes. They are also planning to put a crematory in a residential neighborhood next to a school. I'd like to go to the next PTA meeting and let them know, as well as pass out fliers to people in the neighborhood. I think the people trying to sell their place would like to know what that will do to their property value. In my twisted mind it would be nice to see their shitty karma come back to them when they're trying to convince neighbors that nothing could go wrong with a crematory and that the possibility of mercury emmissions is nothing to worry about for the kids on the school playground. Just venting because I'm so irritated and I'd like to see this group of people learn to treat others better than they have.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

They can not ding him on a guard weekend.  They hired him knowing he was in the guard.  I believe that he needs to talk to JAG also and find out the proper way to turn them in for the write up.  I think he is going in the right direction though.  If he still wants to work in the field then he isn't supposed to learn or work for them...Sometimes the universe has a way of getting our attention when we aren't listening.  He is a smart guy...he will get it all figured out and be in a much better place for it.

sonogal
by Baby Diva on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
They are treating him like s***....I hope they get the same treatment they've given him. And I would definitely go to the school meeting and inform them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ummm... I have had Guard enlisted Employees before and we have no choice but to honor their committment to the Armed Forces..which we gladly do.  What kind of apprentiship...?? Here if they have the hours ..they do not lose them.  He can check into that.   Go get em mamma bear!

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree w/the "can't ding him on the guard weekends"  they can get in SERIOUS trouble for that.  I know cause a friend of mine was doing that and his work tried...they FAILED haha...  He NEEDS to get them on that now..

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, he needs a lawyer.  They can't do that to a person on Guard weekend. 

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

yep...he needs to talk to Jag...and soon...that's illegal as hell....Hope things start looking up for him really soon!

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

He was serving an apprenticeship under the original guy who hired him and then it transferred to someone else when they were bought out by a corporation. He was a mortuary science apprentice and it is strictly governed by the state mortuary board. He had to meet with so many families and perform so many embalmings within a calendar year. He met the requirements for meeting with families and about half of the embalmings he needed. He said there is no way at this point if they reinstated his apprenticeship that he could meet the embalming requirements. He has proof that this all started because of his Guard requirements because they guy who complained happened to leave his email open and Andrew found it and printed it. He doesn't want to make waves at this point because he's not certain he wants out of the industry. He's exploring other job options. I say if he does want out that he should get an attorney through the military and go after their asses. He says if he does that he'll be blacklisted so he's got to be certain. I know he will win and think he's nuts to let them get away with it.

Quoting HEAVNLI1:

Ummm... I have had Guard enlisted Employees before and we have no choice but to honor their committment to the Armed Forces..which we gladly do.  What kind of apprentiship...?? Here if they have the hours ..they do not lose them.  He can check into that.   Go get em mamma bear!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Exposing illegal conduct is not going to get him blacklisted. That's a scare tactic that unethical employers use to keep people from reporting them. Tell him, in the nicest way possible, to grow a pair and do the right thing! Report them and talk to JAG!

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

We had a therapist who did his weekend guard ... and he was excused, no ?'s asked to reschedule.

I think the company can get in BIG trouble for using that as an excuse to fire him

Make sure that fact is in writing, then get a lawyer.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I have a graduate degree in HR and these people are idiots thinking they can get away with it. Andrew was written up over it, and happened to get the guy's email who initiated the complaint to the boss. The guy left his email open and Andrew printed it, so he's got proof.

I told my son over a month ago that if he let me go in and tell them what's what with the law and that I'd be more than happy to make sure he's got an attorney, and that I'd go to the local PTA and news media with their plans to put a crematory in the residential/school zone they are in that they'd have more trouble than dealing with him for a few months. I also told my son that I'd be certain they give him a glowing letter of recommendation for the minute he completed his apprenticeship, so he'd be out of there and that the whole matter would remain confidential. He was afraid that if he stayed in the industry he'd be blacklisted, but now he's decided to get out, so I'm hoping he will at least get an attorney to go against them and file charges for violation of the law that protects his right to perform his civic duty to the national guard. I also think he needs to meet with an unemployment rep for vets and file for that as well. They know he's scheduled for another deployment, so I think they just wanted to get rid of him, rather than be required to hold a job. They are all about saving money and gouging customers.

Quoting BrenMOM:

We had a therapist who did his weekend guard ... and he was excused, no ?'s asked to reschedule.

I think the company can get in BIG trouble for using that as an excuse to fire him

Make sure that fact is in writing, then get a lawyer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN