Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've changed my views in light of this past week

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 145 Total Views

I respected other people's rights to own and carry guns but have never done so myself. I'm also not a fan of homeschooling. Never made sense that any idiot could teach their children, but a teacher had to have an advanced degree and credentials. Anyway, everything has changed in that aspect.

Given a do over with my kids in today's world, I would homeschool and look for other social outlets for them to learn social skills with their peers.

A year ago, my ex-dh bought our dd a pistol and she got a concealed weapons permit. I didn't like it because she lived with partying roommates and thought there was too much opportunity for things to go wrong, or have a gun turned on her if she ever was approached by someone with evil intent.

Now I want to make sure she practices with her gun and is intimately familiar with it. I want her to keep it on her so she won't be a sitting duck in public settings. I know a gun might not save a person if they are taken by surprise, but without a defense you have only the grace of God against a maniac.

I was wondering if you are gun owners and if any of you have a concealed weapons permit? If so, will these recent tragic events influence you to take your gun with you?

by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RedHeadedLizzy
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I believe in the right to carry and own guns. Because, when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.  Just like drugs, they will find a way to obtain them.  I believe the tragedy goes deeper here within a sick mind, one that needs to be identified (in all who may be "sick" and have the propensity to commit such a crime) and contained. I used to homeschool, but Ash needed the companionship of other children and the environment to overcome obstacles she will have to face alone as an adult, obstacles provided by the atmosphere of a controlled environment such as school.  Yes, it is frightening that children could be a target such as has happened. It's scary that such an incident will most likely give fuel to other sick minds who now have this idea that they, too, can do what this monster has done.   I am grateful to live in an area that is not very condusive to such an action, but anything can happen anywhere. I've given Ash the tools to protect herself as much as she can - martial arts training, how to fight, when it is appropriate to use them, how to hide and when to run away.  Because I have been victim as  a child to too many tragedies. We can but hope, and do what we can to protect our families and communities.  I believe it starts with identifying the sickness in the mind that allows such people to cross those lines. There has to be a way.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the fact that you are teaching your dd to take proactive responsibility for her safety. Children are so much more vulnerable and we need to give them as many tools as we can to protect themselves, without freightening them. It sounds like you are taking all the right steps.

Quoting RedHeadedLizzy:

I believe in the right to carry and own guns. Because, when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.  Just like drugs, they will find a way to obtain them.  I believe the tragedy goes deeper here within a sick mind, one that needs to be identified (in all who may be "sick" and have the propensity to commit such a crime) and contained. I used to homeschool, but Ash needed the companionship of other children and the environment to overcome obstacles she will have to face alone as an adult, obstacles provided by the atmosphere of a controlled environment such as school.  Yes, it is frightening that children could be a target such as has happened. It's scary that such an incident will most likely give fuel to other sick minds who now have this idea that they, too, can do what this monster has done.   I am grateful to live in an area that is not very condusive to such an action, but anything can happen anywhere. I've given Ash the tools to protect herself as much as she can - martial arts training, how to fight, when it is appropriate to use them, how to hide and when to run away.  Because I have been victim as  a child to too many tragedies. We can but hope, and do what we can to protect our families and communities.  I believe it starts with identifying the sickness in the mind that allows such people to cross those lines. There has to be a way.

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, first thing here is before a person can get a Concealed Handgun lic. they have to learn how to use the gun, learn safety etc.  it's part of the class too that you take-you have to take tests and shoot a certain score before you're given it.  I will be getting mine soon.  Now, as for owning one, I think there needs to be more things to check for before getting one...right now it's your criminal, taxes, child support/alimony debt and driving record.  I think a medical should be put on there too stating ANY mental/medical issues and medications you are taking more than temp.

Now, I don't think this would have helped in this case but it may/might help in others.  This one sounds like a controlling parent/mentally ill child and a accessible gun (which SHOULD be hidden when not on your person)...a disaster in the making.

I considered homeschooling but dh/I decided we were only capable of schooling her so far and then we were at a disadvantage...we'd be learning stuff with her (if that would be possible lol)and that wouldn't be fair to her, she needs people that know what they are doing...just our opinion.  Oh ps I wanted/still kinda do be a teacher lol but know my limits...

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the statements.. I also agree that if people set their mind up to harm others..they will do it..no matter how many laws are in place for the "law abiding citizens"  They either feel those laws are not meant for them, or are soooo unravelled that they just really do not care.

Obviously, it will be a long time before we know why 2 young men decided to take others lives this week.. first at the Mall and now at the school.  I do think todays society plays a part in this... no, I am not perfect, but something is amiss from when we were growing up.

We can blame it on many factors... but I can only hope someone finds a common key to help us turn this around.

I said at work the other day... we won't need to worry about 3rd world countries firiing missles.. we are going to take ourselves out.  Lets only hope a light goes on and we can help  and solve whatever is the cause.

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not a gun owner, but I am reconsidering that. I was raised around guns and was taught how to properly handle them. As for gun license, I think a psy eval should be done first, certain anti-social tendancies would show and they could be prevented from legally owning a gun. That being said, anyone can get their hands on a gun illegally if they want one bad enough. Example my father owns several pistols that are not registered, one they are old and have been passed down through the years from one family member to another, 2 of them are from an uncle who is was in the Civil War, yes they are in good condition and still fire, then he has a 22 from the Korean War, that bad boy is awesome...I have personally shot that one. I don't believe in a weapons ban, it would do no good. That would just take the guns out of law abiding citizens and allow only the criminals to have them.

firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I do own 2 guns myself.  Right now they are 5 hours away in my brother's possession for safe keeping.  I had to "hide" them when I was with Mike.  I have strongly considered going down to get them and even more so now.  My DIL is in Denver right now as her grandmother's funeral was yesterday.  While at the funeral...there was a shooting right outside their motel room.  1 dead and 1 wounded.  The police were still there when she got back to her room and sent me a pic of their car right outside her room.  I don't think we need stricter laws as they only affect those of us that obey them.  I think we need to allow parents to discipline their kids for starters.  Teaching kids from the start that there are limits, boundaries, and consequences will go a long way in ensuring that kids grow up not wanting the consequences of getting into trouble.  

Bringing down the cost of living will allow more parents to make it without having to leave their kids to their own devices during the most important and formidable years of their lives.  The kid that took out the cop here just over a year ago was 21...The kid that took out those kids yesterday was 20...The kid that shot up that mall was just into his 20's also.  This is a time when our kids should be thinking about their future...not ending their lives and the lives of countless others.  We have to show our kids that there is a future and it won't always look as bleak as it does fiscally right now.  All over the world kids are watching their parents struggle to make it financially because of the way things are.  Kids are raising themselves as jobs are short...pay is low...and costs are just way too high to be able to afford a positive outlet for their children while parents try and fight to make ends meet.  The poverty level is at one of the highest points it has ever been...but too many don't qualify for assistance so that they can make ends meet and be there for their families.

I guess the point I'm getting at here is that it all starts at home...and until more are able to be at home when their kids are...and allowed to raise productive citizens...this is going to continue to spiral out of control.  I would rather be able to carry a gun to protect myself while it does...than not. 

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Well said Mousie!!

HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I plant to apply and test for my CC as soon as my elbow injury will allow. I am sick of it.  I am not saying that violence is the answer but I will not be unarmed anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)