Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

well that made an interesting afternoon

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 161 Total Views

Rachel and her friend set up a breakfast date, not realizing a winter storm was looming. Actually when they went out,it was clear and the snow was late in arriving...but when it did..>BIG problems.

I got a call to ask me to come and get Rachel at a church at the base of our road..her thought was that she was not going to make her friend try to make it up and down the hills before our house.. and then again when she left. OK.. 

Next thing you know, we are home.. and her friend calls....she spun her car and she was stuck up against the sign.  Luckily I was able to make it to where she was... found a place to safely park my car off of the road, while we figured out what she was supposed to do.

We wound up waiting for a tow truck, which only took 30 mins... I knew there were many accidents in the area..so 30 mins was good   the tow truck driver took Rachel's friend and her car right to her house.  OK that meant I did not have to drive her home and then back to our house.

BUT I did know that i had to travel the rest of the way down the hill, to be able to turn around and make it up. I have travelled this road many times, so I was not concerned. What was the problem was Rachel's reaction while the car started to slide on the way down the hill.   (mind you she almost died in a snow related accident)  I firmly told her she had to remain calm.  She said..I will walk.  PLease just park at the church.  I did think about this... and I thought ok, if the road is bad, we just might have to.

I turned the car around.... my car without 4 wheel drive.... Allie has that one.... and made it up the road we were on.... then we got to our road... and  it is a skill to make it to our driveway.. LOL  I got there, with the car in the lowest gear.  Rachel ran out, she said she was soooo panicked that she almost threw up.

Took her a bit to calm  down... yes she was that panicked.. and you know what? it is hard to drive when you know the person next to you is extremely scared. My heart was going a mile a minute.

When we made it into the garage, she said.."we are moving south"  LOL  I said don't tell your dad,,,, that is his plan.  LOL

SO she wound up staying overnight, and left a few minutes ago to make it home to her apartment, get things ready for work, and catch the train into Philly.

Both Rachel and her friend were very glad I was home and came to their rescue.... all in a Mom's day. 

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sonogal
by Baby Diva on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Oh, I am so glad you made it safely!!!  Poor Rachel - I panic a little when highway driving in heavy rain (had a spinout a few years ago) so I understand.  You did good, momma!!

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Yup. One of the reasons we moved south. Glad you all are ok.

daisybelle1960
by Shutterbug Diva on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I'm glad everyone is okay, and I'm with Rachael on moving south. I hate winter and I worry about everyone driving.

firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I'm so glad that all turned out well.  If only I could convince my kids to move south...I would be all set...lol.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Driving in the snow can be so dangerous. At least Rachel isn't one of the over confident drivers who thinks it is everyone else.

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Thank goodness you have the driving skills that you do...poor Rachel..I am sure she was a nervous wreck, and yeah I know what you mean about back seat drivers..lol And yes I want to move south too...I hate winter!

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Dec. 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

FYI we get ice in the South LOL.. there were so many wrecks on Christmas day due to the snow/ice I lost count!!  just in my side of the city I stopped listening at 17!!

Glad you all made it safe!!

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Quoting starlight1968:

FYI we get ice in the South LOL.. there were so many wrecks on Christmas day due to the snow/ice I lost count!!  just in my side of the city I stopped listening at 17!!

Yeah I know..my sis moved to NC and her winters have been as cold as ours.. keep reminding Dh about that. Yes, tney may not get as much snow.but she said they get more ice..YAY???    but no one seems to hear those weather reports. LOL

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

men don't listen LOL

Quoting BrenMOM:

Quoting starlight1968:

Yeah I know..my sis moved to NC and her winters have been as cold as ours.. keep reminding Dh about that. Yes, tney may not get as much snow.but she said they get more ice..YAY???    but no one seems to hear those weather reports. LOL

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Looks like I will get to use my driving skills tomorrow to get to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)