Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey Mel, or any of you who know about dementia - Update at end

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

My ods and I noticed the other night that dh was completely rambling in responses to what we were talking about. Ods later commented that he wondered if he was speaking english because dh's responses were so far out there in left field, but he had also been drinking earlier in the day.

Then yesterday he had two interviews. I printed up mapquest directions but decided because one of them was pretty far away in an unfamiliar town of our metropolitan area that I should just go and read directions while he drove. Anyway, he couldn't seem to understand much. I was so frustrated by the time we got there that my body ached and my head felt like it was going to explode.

I'm just wondering what you noticed at first with your mom? I know my dh has problems with directions, but yesterday was seriously dysfunctional. We almost had a serious accident one day earlier in the week because he doesn't seem to be paying attention to what is going on around him. I just need to know what is important to mention to his doc when he goes in on the 6th of February.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firemouse23
by Queen of the Divas on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

This new behavior is definitely needing to be mentioned to the Dr.  Is he on any new meds?  If not then there is something else going on and it could be the multiple TIA's are taking their toll.  At this point...I don't think he should be taking any more interviews.  {{{HUGS}}}

sonogal
by Baby Diva on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Oh dear. This is pretty worrisome - I agree that the TIAs could be causing the confusion. And he shouldn't be drinking at all (but you know that). Aphasia can be a sign of stroke (maybe even more severe than the TIAs). Definitely talk to the doctor - and perhaps he should not drive...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I am starting to wonder about the driving myself. He's had a couple of TIA's while just sitting, but the overwhelming majority are while he's standing. I can't imagine him losing his license, because I would have to drive him everywhere and quite frankly I'm not up for more on my plate, but it may be the only alternative to this issue because I don't want him hurting innocent people. I do make sure that I take the keys to bed so he can't go out for more alcohol after I've gone to sleep and only let him drive when I know he is stone cold sober.

Quoting sonogal:

Oh dear. This is pretty worrisome - I agree that the TIAs could be causing the confusion. And he shouldn't be drinking at all (but you know that). Aphasia can be a sign of stroke (maybe even more severe than the TIAs). Definitely talk to the doctor - and perhaps he should not drive...

HEAVNLI1
by Derby City Diva on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, prayers for you both.  Could be a combo of the TIA's and the alcohol.... the two of them together cannot be good.  Keep a close eye my sister.... you are very smart to make sure he cannot get those keys at night.  Hang in there sweetie and be sure to tell the doc everything.  

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

he needs to stop driving now....before he hurts someone...yes it sounds like he is having more TIA's than he or you realizes....or possibly an actual full stroke...not massive mind you..but maybe a minor one....how often or when was the last time he had an MRI with contrast? if there hasn't been one recently...one needs to be done and done very soon....you need to keep track of the damage that is occuring...remember every time he has a TIA it is causing brain damage...

starlight1968
by Fully Loaded Diva on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandmother was diagnosed with dementia...I noticed something odd when we went to visit her.  We were watching Pres. Reagn's funeral and she was normal but little things seemed odd to me so we started to watch her. 

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

His driving is very minimal and I agree that he shouldn't be driving at all for now. The last time he had an MRI was October 31, 2011  but can't remember if they did more than his spine. I will ask when we go to the doctor and see if he needs anything additional. The neurologist we saw last time has dropped the ball so I'm going to see if he can get in with the head of neurology at the VA. I'm not 100% certain, but I think they are in cahoots with OHSU which is a really great teaching hospital in our area. They are the ones who will figure it out if anyone can.

Quoting Melinda67:

he needs to stop driving now....before he hurts someone...yes it sounds like he is having more TIA's than he or you realizes....or possibly an actual full stroke...not massive mind you..but maybe a minor one....how often or when was the last time he had an MRI with contrast? if there hasn't been one recently...one needs to be done and done very soon....you need to keep track of the damage that is occuring...remember every time he has a TIA it is causing brain damage...

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

he needs to have a MRI with contrast of the brain....that is the only way to tell how much brain damage there is...it's a must have...regularly with TIA's...insist on it..fight, yell, scream...but do what you have to, to get it done...and..have the dr notify the dmv...they will pull his license so he cant drive...

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

His driving is very minimal and I agree that he shouldn't be driving at all for now. The last time he had an MRI was October 31, 2011  but can't remember if they did more than his spine. I will ask when we go to the doctor and see if he needs anything additional. The neurologist we saw last time has dropped the ball so I'm going to see if he can get in with the head of neurology at the VA. I'm not 100% certain, but I think they are in cahoots with OHSU which is a really great teaching hospital in our area. They are the ones who will figure it out if anyone can.

Quoting Melinda67:

BrenMOM
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I agree with the others.. have him checked for TIA's. there are at lesat 2 different kinds.

also, check for diabetes..high or low blood sugars can produce the same type of actions.

Melinda67
by Dungeon Queen on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

is there anything new to update us??? has he seen the dr? did you ask for the mri with contrast????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)