Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discussion Post: GMOs

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 40 Replies
  • 442 Total Views

I haven't done one of these in a long time so here goes!

With all this talk about GMOs and the Monsanto Personnel in the headlines, what's your opinion?

As a reminder:  Bashing of any kind WILL NOT be tolerated!!   We are all adults here and we should be able to agree to disagree on ALL issues.  Thank you in advance!

People need to understand that children with special needs are not sick. They are not searching for a cure, just acceptance.   Head Admin ~ Around 40ish Dungeon Divas.  Come join the fun in the Dungeon @ http://www.cafemom.com/group/115524    Follow me on my weight loss journey at http://livingcleanin2013.blogspot.com/.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it was really well-timed for the Monsanto Protection bill to be signed while the entire country was focused on SSM and the Supreme Court. Bipartisan politicking at its sneakiest.

So now Monsanto gets to put whatever seed it wants anywhere it wants with ZERO oversight by the FDA/DOA. At a time when people are finally becoming more aware and concerned about what goes into our food supply, I think this was seriously underhanded.

I think if the American gov't was actually concerned about the health of its citizens, we'd start studying "new foods," as the EU calls GMO products before they ever made it to the market.

People here fuss about how the French don't get fat, etc., but we don't respect our food the way they do. If we had enough respect for ourselves to be demanding about the things we put into our bodies, then we might be able to turn around the obesity epidemic we face.

BaBeezandMe
by Dungeon CakeChic on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the Government needs to really ask themselves, "WHY are there now 1 in 55 children being diagnosed with Autism?? Why are so many other children affected with other diseases or ailments?" before they allow these GMOs to take over farms and tamper with our natural food supply!! When you take a tomato and give it the gene of a fish in order to allow it to be HUGE with a 3 month shelf life as well as survive in the cold, it's no longer a tomato!!!!!!! It becomes a completely different thing. I would also like to know what chemicals and genes have been added to the foods I am buying and eating!! I think it's VITAL for people to know, especially if its a gene that was taken from SHELLFISH considering some folks can DIE from their SHELLFISH allergy! If they were extracting genes from peanuts and your kid has a peanut allergy, wouldn't you like to know why your kid suddenly became a corpse after eating that carrot????

Same with the dairy farmers wanting to add aspartame to a variety of items from flavored milk all the way to sour cream WITHOUT indicating it in the labeling in order to boost sales!! It can't always be about sales if it endangers our entire next generation of people IMHO!!!! I have to buy regular vitamin D milk for my ADHD boys because it is the ONLY milk that is the least processed and they need the added fat because they do not have a weight issue. If we start adding chemicals that have unknown affects to such nutritionally rich foods as milk, are we even going to survive to boost those dairy farmers sales as they planned???? Just asking!

Also, I am very concerned about what these GMOs are doing to all our children and the affects they are having on their health! Think about it....the foods my 86 year old father in law ate as a child was as pure as they got. They went from farm to table. His kids ate almost the same pure foods. My generation is when the foods started making pit stops in the labs before hitting the tables and suddenly people everywhere were being diagnosed with all sorts of stuff. Our kids today eat almost 100% GMOs and look what is happening. 1 in 55 children lives with Autism. Most kids are diagnosed with ADHD or some other disability or illness. Our government is considering wiping out American humanity IMHO!!

It just sickens me that these people don't give a rats ass about the harmful effects these GMOs are having on our kids. We are literally being disabled at the dining room table! It's very heart breaking! I know my boys were born with their Autism but I do question the effects these GMOs are having on their ADHD. I can't afford "organic" and I DO NOT have a green thumb or the room to have my own little food supply. Someday when I hit the lottery...... :D

I also question, "Do these GMO scientists feed their products to their families?" Just askin.  Why even ask when I know the answer to that question is FLAT OUT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  White house, Government and GMO scientists pay BIG BUCKS (mostly our tax dollars) to ensure their food supply is 100% COMPLETELY organically grown!!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Jeanne, look around for hormone-free milk. It's not as expensive as organic, but the dairy farmers who provide it make a pledge not to give their cows rBgh - a bovine growth hormone that forces milk production. It may take some searching, but it turns out that a little 7-11 type place in my area gets hormone-free milk for cheaper than the grocery store.

As for whether the scientists eat that crap? They don't. I have a former neighbor who works for a chemical company and the last time I spoke to her, she was working on something to make chickens with bigger breasts. She doesn't eat chicken anymore.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Chameleon Queen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

A few years ago I had to pick up my niece from a softball tournament and noticed that she was alot smaller than many of the other girls. I wondered if it was because of her diet. Her parents are pretty health conscious and hunt the majority of their own meat. Their kids aren't big on dairy, either. It got me thinking that many kids might have weight issues and develop early because of food choices parents make. I'm sure convenience of processed foods wins out over labor intensive meals because people are trying to get something on the table after a day of work and extra curricular activities.

I believe we need more education and labels on what is in our food. It's a fact that many Americans are unhealthy because of their diets and this is much more important than food companies making huge profits off of our ignorance. I used to assume food was safe, but there is too much evidence that it isn't with all the cancer, autism, add/adhd and children entering into puberty much earlier than they used to.

I eat mostly organic meat because my dad gives it to us for free and plant a very small garden in the summer with organic composting material. My grocery store sells milk that doesn't have additional hormones added and I don't do many processed foods because I like the taste of homemade versus boxed or frozen. I also choose real foods, such as sugar and butter over man made, but I always wonder how much of my food has hidden ingredients that I don't know the side effects of. I can't afford the high priced organic labels and I don't really trust them either. Organic is kind of an overused word that doesn't have a lot of consistency.

coronado25
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM

A child with a shellfish allergy, any child at all actually, already shares many genes with shellfish. As do you. Same with people with peanut allergies. You are part peanut. Yes you are.  A gene is a command for expression. A shellfish gene in the embryo of a tomato, will give instructions for a chemical and metabolic reaction in that developing tomato embryo that will allow it to do whatever the trait desired does (ie protect it from cold).  The gene in no way would express itself in the person consuming the tomato.

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

I think the Government needs to really ask themselves, "WHY are there now 1 in 55 children being diagnosed with Autism?? Why are so many other children affected with other diseases or ailments?" before they allow these GMOs to take over farms and tamper with our natural food supply!! When you take a tomato and give it the gene of a fish in order to allow it to be HUGE with a 3 month shelf life as well as survive in the cold, it's no longer a tomato!!!!!!! It becomes a completely different thing. I would also like to know what chemicals and genes have been added to the foods I am buying and eating!! I think it's VITAL for people to know, especially if its a gene that was taken from SHELLFISH considering some folks can DIE from their SHELLFISH allergy! If they were extracting genes from peanuts and your kid has a peanut allergy, wouldn't you like to know why your kid suddenly became a corpse after eating that carrot????

Same with the dairy farmers wanting to add aspartame to a variety of items from flavored milk all the way to sour cream WITHOUT indicating it in the labeling in order to boost sales!! It can't always be about sales if it endangers our entire next generation of people IMHO!!!! I have to buy regular vitamin D milk for my ADHD boys because it is the ONLY milk that is the least processed and they need the added fat because they do not have a weight issue. If we start adding chemicals that have unknown affects to such nutritionally rich foods as milk, are we even going to survive to boost those dairy farmers sales as they planned???? Just asking!

Also, I am very concerned about what these GMOs are doing to all our children and the affects they are having on their health! Think about it....the foods my 86 year old father in law ate as a child was as pure as they got. They went from farm to table. His kids ate almost the same pure foods. My generation is when the foods started making pit stops in the labs before hitting the tables and suddenly people everywhere were being diagnosed with all sorts of stuff. Our kids today eat almost 100% GMOs and look what is happening. 1 in 55 children lives with Autism. Most kids are diagnosed with ADHD or some other disability or illness. Our government is considering wiping out American humanity IMHO!!

It just sickens me that these people don't give a rats ass about the harmful effects these GMOs are having on our kids. We are literally being disabled at the dining room table! It's very heart breaking! I know my boys were born with their Autism but I do question the effects these GMOs are having on their ADHD. I can't afford "organic" and I DO NOT have a green thumb or the room to have my own little food supply. Someday when I hit the lottery...... :D

I also question, "Do these GMO scientists feed their products to their families?" Just askin.  Why even ask when I know the answer to that question is FLAT OUT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  White house, Government and GMO scientists pay BIG BUCKS (mostly our tax dollars) to ensure their food supply is 100% COMPLETELY organically grown!!

The cure for anything is saltwater.

coronado25
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I used to work for a lab and worked with transgenes and transgenic animals.  Animals that carried human genes for diseases like Multiple Schlerosis, Parkinson's, etc.  If you suddenly got a craving to eat mice, rats or hamsters, and bbqed up a few of our little laboratory cuties, and ate them, you would not develop those diseases yourself.  I don't understand the thinking of those people who think that genes for certain traits will some how affect them through the digestive system...educate yourselves!

coronado25
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

This more and more commonly acceptable attitude towards those who are smaller/larger/ challenged and their families seems to be the latest fashionable prejudice. "They look this way because of their  or their parents nonorganic/ nonvegan/nonglutenfree/nonwhatever-the-mass-trend-maybe diet." 

People who percieve others as inferior in looks,intelligence,physical capability and automatically assume that this is due to an inferior diet are a shining example of the desperate need for more science education, genetics especially! 

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

A few years ago I had to pick up my niece from a softball tournament and noticed that she was alot smaller than many of the other girls. I wondered if it was because of her diet. Her parents are pretty health conscious and hunt the majority of their own meat. Their kids aren't big on dairy, either. It got me thinking that many kids might have weight issues and develop early because of food choices parents make. I'm sure convenience of processed foods wins out over labor intensive meals because people are trying to get something on the table after a day of work and extra curricular activities.

I believe we need more education and labels on what is in our food. It's a fact that many Americans are unhealthy because of their diets and this is much more important than food companies making huge profits off of our ignorance. I used to assume food was safe, but there is too much evidence that it isn't with all the cancer, autism, add/adhd and children entering into puberty much earlier than they used to.

I eat mostly organic meat because my dad gives it to us for free and plant a very small garden in the summer with organic composting material. My grocery store sells milk that doesn't have additional hormones added and I don't do many processed foods because I like the taste of homemade versus boxed or frozen. I also choose real foods, such as sugar and butter over man made, but I always wonder how much of my food has hidden ingredients that I don't know the side effects of. I can't afford the high priced organic labels and I don't really trust them either. Organic is kind of an overused word that doesn't have a lot of consistency.

The cure for anything is saltwater.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

When you tweak one set of genes for a certain desired result, are there other effects? For instance, if you make a mouse grow blue fur (just as an example), is it possible that that particular genome might also have some affect on, say, liver function? Or something else?

I'm asking quite seriously.

I think for those of us who aren't geneticists, it's much easier to stick to product that hasn't been altered. We know that the original version of the product is healthy, so the risks inherent in change don't seem worthwhile.

Quoting coronado25:

I used to work for a lab and worked with transgenes and transgenic animals.  Animals that carried human genes for diseases like Multiple Schlerosis, Parkinson's, etc.  If you suddenly got a craving to eat mice, rats or hamsters, and bbqed up a few of our little laboratory cuties, and ate them, you would not develop those diseases yourself.  I don't understand the thinking of those people who think that genes for certain traits will some how affect them through the digestive system...educate yourselves!

BaBeezandMe
by Dungeon CakeChic on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Quoting coronado25:

First off let me just say hello and welcome to the discussion. 

Second off I think you need to prove without a shadow of a doubt that these genes do not alter our food supply IN ANY WAY!!  How do you know for a fact that these genes and chemicals being stuck into our foods are NOT going to have adverse reaction??  You need to prove your theorie IMHO!

Third....I think you need to be a bit kinder in your "educate yourselves!" statement.  We "veterans of the Dungeon" are a variety of VERY WELL EDUCATED women who have banded together to NOT BASH and not speak harshly toward each other and that will NOT BE tolerated.  Consider yourself warned. 

Thank you and have a nice day!

BaBeezandMe
by Dungeon CakeChic on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Quoting coronado25:

A child with a shellfish allergy, any child at all actually, already shares many genes with shellfish. As do you. Same with people with peanut allergies. You are part peanut. Yes you are.  A gene is a command for expression. A shellfish gene in the embryo of a tomato, will give instructions for a chemical and metabolic reaction in that developing tomato embryo that will allow it to do whatever the trait desired does (ie protect it from cold).  The gene in no way would express itself in the person consuming the tomato.

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

I don't think altering genes in any way shape or form is healthy to anyone!  I'm sticking with that!

And BTW, I am not PART peanut, I am the shell that cracked.  My kids and I do not have any food allergies but I am concerned about the people that do!

I've heard cases where the person with a perticular food allergy was kissed by someone that came in contact with the food after washing up and sadly that person ended up dead over a kiss.

So my friend, until you and other folks in the industry of blatently genetically altering our purest form of nutrition (our food supply) prove 100% that these mutations do not cause harm to humanity, I don't want to hear that they are safe!  And if it's so safe, why the need to hide it?????

Those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN