Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do we mom's cope or not--support

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

Just wondering how everyone copes. Having an autistic teen, or an autistic adult, can be draining, especially if they have behavior problems like my son did and still does.

I had no support when my 36 year old son was young and it almost took me, my marriage and the other children in our family. Somehow we stuck together, but we rarely discuss it today.

I hope we can share real truths in our lives even if these things hurt us to type. Let's support each other because autism affects us in more ways then one.

by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
OpalB
by Group Owner on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM

For a long time I let his autism take my life away in that every moment was devoted to Nick and honestly I felt so drained. I finally had to make myself devote time to myself and my life as well. My own interests and hobbies. I realized that to be the mom he needs I need to be the woman I am. Cafemom helped a lot in that I was able to network with other moms who understood the way things really are with the issues we face and not just the outward appearance that we portray. So many times we hear how strong we are, there are times when you want to just throw up your hands and say I am strong but dang it do I have to be strong all the time? Networking is key, both in a forum like this as well as in everyday life. It is also a must to have time and interests of your own. It is hard to do but if we as moms allow ourselfs to get lost in the autism how do we expect to be able to help our children find there way through there challenges with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)