Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little advice....

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 258 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I want to start a little corner that focuses on, things we would tell ourselves at the beginning of teen adult years with our kiddos that we didn't know how to handle or could have handled differently at the time so that those entering into these years can gleen from it.. Please post any and all things you wish you could tell yourself and would share with those facing those years now......

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
OpalB
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM

If i could tell myself one thing it would be to know that even though there are childlike behaviors that stayed with my son he is growing into a young man and give him the respect and space to do that in the best way he can because even with the childlike tendancies he is in fact a young man and has the feelings, opinions and thoughts of such.

LynnW64
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I had some advice to give, but I don't. The past five years have been very tough and I'm wondering what the next five will be like. I'm hoping my health holds out as my daughter needs me. I'm an older mom.

Thanks for adding me, Opal.

Do you just have the one child? I have only one, too. She's the best thing I've done with my life and I want the best for her.

OpalB
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have three hun, Nick 18 who has autism the most sever, Danny 8 who is also on the spectrum but considered high functioning and a daughter 6. I have had to face the what will the next years bring as well lately. Nick has had some rough moments to handle over the past few years and while I'm 41, not young but not older yet either, getting there but not quite there, my body is though, i have been battling cancer and am winning but i have really had to look hard at the future and possible living situations for nick out of sheer safety for him and myself when meltdowns happen. The best advice I can give on this is the same my mother in law gave me when we first started discussing nick's long term living situation is that you don't stop being a mom and loving and being there if you live in a seperate place. It will just mean that when you are together you are together to purely enjoy each other's company and love each other. Just know whatever the future holds you are still and will always be her best and most constant friend, companion, mom and cheerleader. Your doing an amazing job!

Quoting LynnW64:

I wish I had some advice to give, but I don't. The past five years have been very tough and I'm wondering what the next five will be like. I'm hoping my health holds out as my daughter needs me. I'm an older mom.

Do you just have the one child? I have only one, too. She's the best thing I've done with my life and I want the best for her.

lucasmadre
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I am an older mom too and raising just one son by myself. His father is in his life but does not help much with the hard stuff. My health has suffered a lot these last few years and I know it is stress and working so hard to make ends meet but I don't know what else to do...what stuggles are you facing?

Quoting LynnW64:

LynnW64
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM

My daughter has Aspergers and has never been able to make a friend. Everything has stemmed from that fact (no friends), to the point that she now suffers from depression, anxiety, etc. She's not even the same kid she used to be. Quite a bit of the time, she doesn't want to see people anymore. They treat her so rotten and she's a genuinely nice girl. (She's now 13)
How old are you, lucasmadre? How old is your son?
Yes, the stress is so bad for your health.

Is your son in public school? My daughter is homeschooled.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat. It's nice to talk with someone who really understands.

Quoting lucasmadre:

Hi, I am an older mom too and raising just one son by myself. His father is in his life but does not help much with the hard stuff. My health has suffered a lot these last few years and I know it is stress and working so hard to make ends meet but I don't know what else to do...what stuggles are you facing?

Quoting LynnW64:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)