Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to Florida need answers

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

Grettings I and my family want to move to Florida  admit it we hate the cold weather. 

Yes we know were trading off practically a no weather state for a state with alot of  dangrous animals and  storms.  We live outside Detroit yes you can buy a  house in detroit for a dollar.

What's the people like ? Whats the culture? Whats the job market like?

We do not plan to go down here with, out a job a secure one then decide then were to live.

Aything we should know? Why should we not live here? or why should we ?

NO we do ont expect it to be like  vacation or anything.

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Dragonmamas
by Ari - Group Owner on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

There are just as many dangerous animals here as there are anywhere else, lol. Honestly, most of the wild life here are avoidable.

I was born and raised here and have only been in one hurricane. Charley, back in 2004. We lost our fence, our windows and 3/4 of our roof, but we were fine.

Cultural wise I guess the biggest thing for northerners is to see how diverse people are here. We have a lot of Hispanics and Haitians.

The job market is just as bad as it is everywhere else in the united states.

I love it here, it's home, but if I wasn't from here I wouldn't chose to live here to be honest.

alotta_fagina
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM

totally depends on where to!

MomtoMandJ
by Ana on Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Tallahassee is very different from Miami.  Where are you looking to move to?  What kind of jobs?  It took me from July to December to find a job as a librarian, and the one I found is only part-time with no benefits.  DH lost his job the day after we moved here and has not found anything.  He's an editor/proofreader.  We're in the Orlando area.  They are building a medical center/medical school, so if you're in the health field, jobs could be easier in a little while.

ViridianSoul
by Tabbie on Feb. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I came from Connecticut to Tampa, and I've been here a year now. I guess I'm still in my "honeymoon" phase, but I absolutely LOVE it, still! I was born and raised my entire life in CT, but I've never fit in there. Not only that, but for my entire life, I've HATED the cold, and in New England...well, there's plenty of cold, that's for sure.

As far as areas go, I really only know Tampa. I came down here with Tampa in mind and nowhere else, so I didn't bother to research anywhere else. My aunt lived in Homestead (near Miami) for fifteen years, and she hated it. I think it was mostly because she missed her family, though. I do miss mine to some degree, but I can always call or skype with them, so it's not like they're so very far away we can't keep in touch.

Jobs are tough in Tampa right now. Unless you're in skilled trades (like professional painting or roofing, etc), most jobs are service oriented, and most of them pay minimum wage or just over. I'm talking Walmart, K-mart, McDonald's type jobs. When I came here I got hired at Walmart at a rate of 7.35 an hour, and it was so not worth it. I was determined to stick it out, however, because A job is better than NO job. Unfortunately, I got sick with a triple whammy of double ear infection, sinus infection, and strep throat...so there went my job.

My DH has lived here his entire life (except for a spurt in Lousiana as a teen) and he's had an absolutely horrid time finding a job in his field. He's an automotive tech. He got hired at one job last September, and it was so terrible he'd quit within the week. They worked him twelve hour days with NO breaks and NO lunch. His ONE day off, they called him in to work...then they told him he shouldn't expect a single day off for at least the next month...which of course is against the law, as an employer must give a day off after every fourteen days of work. Since that job he quit, he's found NOTHING, which is why I started looking for work, too.

I recently and luckily found a good paying job that I'm sure I'm going to like a lot, but it's one of those one in a thousand kind of jobs.

I'd really recommend some heavy duty research before picking a place to head to.

Take into account that you will likely have to deposit on your utilities, that your car insurance is bound to rise, or probably double, and pay attention to the schools. We homeschool, so it's not a problem for us, but FL schools certainly aren't the greatest. My DH actually quit HS when he was 15 because he was tired of having the kids at his school jump him and try to beat him. He was, literally. THE ONLY white kid in his school, and he couldn't take the crap he was dealing with anymore.

Anyways, like I said, lots of research. I do recommend Florida. I love it here!

...oh yes. Do not underestimate a Florida summer. My big test for myself was to see if I could make it through last summer...and I did it. But it's GODAWFUL HOT AND HUMID. If you've never experienced real humidity, you'll be in for a shock during a FL summer for sure. That, and the midafternoon torrential downpours.

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It depends on where you go. The job and housing market and culture where i live now (near tampa) are COMPLETELY different from when I lived in miami which is different from when I lived in Ft lauderdale.

divamommao
by Nikky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I moved from missouri in 2001 and have been in daytona beach since. I like it but would perfer a different house in a different location. but other than that it is okay. Its not all the glamour though they try to give daytona beach but its okay.

Cutenessmom
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

This is not the only state we was looking at. Just wanted to get out of the  state of michigan . So we our  planning on saving up a ton of money before hand and have jobs in hand first. My husband was looking at outside of jacksonville.  Northern not panhandle florida. I was told   to stay far away from  Miami,

Our doing tons of research first hand to see if this is were we want ot live we our not going to give up  a good bone for a  bad bone aka job.

I did go ot Daytona was so not impressed with the place.

mommyof2EO
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I moved from Ohio down to Jacksonville. We've been here 2 years and love it so much! 

Cutenessmom
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yeah we backed off moving here for now   have  looking at other places for now :(  :) hubby got a promotion were we our at  soo .... thanks though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)