No Mardi Gras fete's menu would be complete without some sort of sweet treat filled with pecans, and these pralines will hit the spot after a spicy meal.
Yields: 16 pralines
Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 15 min
- 5 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, plus more for parchment
- 1 cup(s) light-brown sugar
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 cup(s) melted vanilla-bean ice cream
- 9 1/2 ounce(s) pecans, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- Line 2 baking pans with parchment, butter parchment, and set aside. In a medium pot over medium-low heat, combine sugars and ice cream, stirring with a clean, metal spoon until sugars are dissolved. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, brush down sides of pot to prevent sugars from crystallizing.
- Add 5 tablespoons butter and stir to combine. Fit pot with a candy thermometer, increase heat to medium, and let cook until mixture reaches 240 degrees F. Remove pot from heat and stir in pecans and salt. until slightly opaque, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Drop praline mixture, by 2 heaping tablespoons, onto prepared baking pans. Let pralines cool until set, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.