Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Milk Cheese Recipe?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1227 Total Views
2 moms liked this

I found a recipe to make cheese from breast milk but it also calls for some "other" animal milk to be added in addition to human milk.  Has anyone ever made cheese from straight breast milk?  My son has 30 allergens currently and we cannot find a safe alternative and I'd like to make him pizza or something with a bit of "cheese" on it.  I've never pumped a day in my life but my 2 yo DS has built up my supply again (nursing like a newborn for the past 2 months) and I've actually got an abundance to where I was leaking the other day! lol I haven't leaked in well over a year.  So I was thinking if I could get a few ounces together maybe I could make cheese for him.  Anyone ever try it?  I was going to ask in the big breastfeeding group but I thought I'd start here.

The recipe I found called for

2 cups of Breast Milk

2 cups of "another" animal milk

1 1/2 tsp of "yogurt" I was going to use coconut milk  yogurt

1/8 tablet of Rennet (which I haven't looked into yet so I don't know if that's safe or not)

1 tsp salt

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
angelbabies14
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Ok so I just found the answer to my own question that yes you can use 4 cups of human milk.  Now has anyone ever tried it? :)  That is  A LOT of milk to try and save up especially when I have never pumped before!

srbeusk
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I never thought of making my own cheese... I should do that!
And wow! 30 allergies?! How old was he when you found out what allergies he has? Gosh they didn't even test my son for 30 things...:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I hasn't never fine it, but it's a cool idea! You could always halve the recipe if that's too much milk. My guess is that it called for another animal milk because human milk is so sweet, but I bet it will still be really good, just a sweeter cheese!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Maybe I should try it out too! I've got several bags of milk from pumping when the baby wasn't nursing much back in the fall for a few days....definitely would be better than throwing it away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bfactivist
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Did you ever try making the cheese solely with breastmilk? Im wanting to make cheese for my household due to allergies and want to make it only with my breastmilk.  how wss it?

angelbabies14
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I never was able to. I cannot pump a drop! I've been nursing over 4 years straight and never pumped before. It just won't work for me :( I'm curious if anyone else has tried it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)