Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

It's possible he has a food allergy?

My nine month old seems to always have a runny nose and a cough that comes if he cries and usually after he wakes up. He has circular red rash spots one on the side of his face and several on his torso. He has dry skin, especially on his arms and legs. He also gets red puffy eyes. He gets gunk in them whenever he gets a new cold. The eyes seem to get red whenever he is around the cat though. He's had these symptoms a long time, but it never seems to affect him that much, so I haven't made a big deal about it. I'm wondering though if maybe he has a mild allergy, maybe to dairy?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelbabies14
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM
It could be an allergy to anything really. The cat even unless you also have GI symptoms as well. The skin, rashes, eczema, swelling, congestion etc can even come from pet allergies like your cat. My son and I are allergic to both dog and cat and we get immediate congestion, eyes tearing and red, runny nose, itchy, hives, swollen eyes and even coughing and sneezing. If it were food (and it very well can be) there also may be some GI problems. Does your LO have stool issues? Any spit up or vomiting unexplained? Also your child may not be getting "colds" at all. It can be allergy related. Its rare for a breastfed baby to have that many colds at that age. My son always appeared to be "sick" but wasn't it was his food allergies. Once eliminated it stopped and only returns if he gets exposed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM
I agree, it could be anything. I will say that I had a stuffy nose for years before I gave up dairy for my sons, now I'm healthier than ever :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angeldolphine
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

No stool issues, no spit up or vomiting.

Yikes, I would hate for it to be the cat, cause he is my husband's baby.....

Thanks!

Quoting angelbabies14:

It could be an allergy to anything really. The cat even unless you also have GI symptoms as well. The skin, rashes, eczema, swelling, congestion etc can even come from pet allergies like your cat. My son and I are allergic to both dog and cat and we get immediate congestion, eyes tearing and red, runny nose, itchy, hives, swollen eyes and even coughing and sneezing. If it were food (and it very well can be) there also may be some GI problems. Does your LO have stool issues? Any spit up or vomiting unexplained? Also your child may not be getting "colds" at all. It can be allergy related. Its rare for a breastfed baby to have that many colds at that age. My son always appeared to be "sick" but wasn't it was his food allergies. Once eliminated it stopped and only returns if he gets exposed.

angelbabies14
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM
A friend of mine had to give up her 2 dogs for her son :( he just got worse and worse. She was medicating him every day just to keep the dogs but finally had to give them up. We have dogs too. I NEED to give them up for both me and my son. Its a very hard decision to make. I keep telling my SO that our son IS more important, no matter how much we love our pets. It's unfair to our child he should have to suffer and be drugged just to live in our home. Its a tough call here. you can try an elimination diet for yourself and take your child off solids and see if it helps. If it doesn't it could be the cat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angeldolphine
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I'm going to talk to my husband about doing that. I'll try the elimination diet first and then go from there. Thanks :)

Quoting angelbabies14:

A friend of mine had to give up her 2 dogs for her son :( he just got worse and worse. She was medicating him every day just to keep the dogs but finally had to give them up. We have dogs too. I NEED to give them up for both me and my son. Its a very hard decision to make. I keep telling my SO that our son IS more important, no matter how much we love our pets. It's unfair to our child he should have to suffer and be drugged just to live in our home. Its a tough call here. you can try an elimination diet for yourself and take your child off solids and see if it helps. If it doesn't it could be the cat.

larissalarie
by Group Owner on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM
It definitely could be the cat. A fairly easy way to tell (without getting rid of the cat and cleaning literally every square inch of your house) would be to go away for a couple of days and see if he gets better. Make sure to wash the clothes (or any bedding) right before you go, so you don't bring the contamination with you.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Thanks!

Quoting angelbabies14:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angeldolphine
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM

That's a great idea, thanks!

Quoting larissalarie:

It definitely could be the cat. A fairly easy way to tell (without getting rid of the cat and cleaning literally every square inch of your house) would be to go away for a couple of days and see if he gets better. Make sure to wash the clothes (or any bedding) right before you go, so you don't bring the contamination with you.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Thanks!

Quoting angelbabies14:

luvmycutebaby
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Are you using air fresheners or any other type of scented product? When I was little I had similar symptoms and then my mom took away my beloved scented strawberry shortcake dolls and I cleared right up. I still have sensitivities to many perfumes and strong scents.

Angeldolphine
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Nope, I don't even wear perfume.

Quoting luvmycutebaby:

Are you using air fresheners or any other type of scented product? When I was little I had similar symptoms and then my mom took away my beloved scented strawberry shortcake dolls and I cleared right up. I still have sensitivities to many perfumes and strong scents.

larissalarie
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM
What about you're laundry detergent? We have to use fragrance free for my and one of my kiddos.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Nope, I don't even wear perfume.

Quoting luvmycutebaby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)