Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How's Everyone?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 285 Total Views
I just went wheat free 4 days ago, for myself, and so far I'm amazed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srbeusk
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM
My health took an amazing turn for the better when I cut out gluten...;)

And we're good. I had some cookies with eggs in them last night. A couple don't bother Delilah, but I had 10...:/ oops... So she's pretty fussy today. Otherwise, things are going good! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momy2beAUG.2009
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

To be completely honest I am feeling really helpless at the moment. I dont feel like my daughters pediatrician is helping at all. I went to go get answers from him to help out more and I came back even more frustrated. So after more labs and having cut wheat, soy, dairy and eggs out of my diet he said the labs came back showing blood. Wasnt too concerned and told me to try reintroducing eggs and after only a couple days trying it my baby is fussy and gassy and has loose green stools. I am not frustrated with eliminating it from my diet but that I dont feel that we are really getting any answers about what it truly is and I dont want my baby in pain anymore. I wanted to breastfeed longer, but I am not willing to keep causing my baby discomfort. I am really sad, I have been in tears more then a few times. I am going to call my insurance tomorrow and see if we have to get referred to a gastroentologist(?) or we can just go on our own regards. Hopefully the later of the two. Ahh sorry kind of turned into a vent sorry.

larissalarie
by Group Owner on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I'm really sorry that things are so tough :-( Maybe her digestive tract is still healing? I definitely think a second opinion is a good idea. As bad as this feels, I can tell you that your milk is still the best thing for her! Even if you never figure it 100% out, your milk is easier on her sensitive system than formula. You would have to go straight to a prescription elemental formula like elecare or neocate, since the over the counter formulas are made from milk & soy. I've heard of at least a couple of women who never intended to breastfeed having to relactate after their sensitive babies couldn't even handle THAT! Or they had to relactate after quitting breastfeeding because they didn't want to eliminate the allergens from their diets, but their baby couldn't tolerate any formula. There's actually a woman in my area that's always having to try to find donor breastmilk on the internet for her baby because she can't/won't bf for whatever reason and her baby can't handle any formula.

Anyway, I'm so sorry things are tough! You are doing your best for your baby, and that's so admirable :-) If you do think trying formula is what's best for your child, then hold your head high and don't feel bad! You've already done so much more than most moms would. Honestly most mothers that I've encountered run straight to hypoallergenic formula at the mere suggestion of diet modification. You are amazing!

Quoting Momy2beAUG.2009:

To be completely honest I am feeling really helpless at the moment. I dont feel like my daughters pediatrician is helping at all. I went to go get answers from him to help out more and I came back even more frustrated. So after more labs and having cut wheat, soy, dairy and eggs out of my diet he said the labs came back showing blood. Wasnt too concerned and told me to try reintroducing eggs and after only a couple days trying it my baby is fussy and gassy and has loose green stools. I am not frustrated with eliminating it from my diet but that I dont feel that we are really getting any answers about what it truly is and I dont want my baby in pain anymore. I wanted to breastfeed longer, but I am not willing to keep causing my baby discomfort. I am really sad, I have been in tears more then a few times. I am going to call my insurance tomorrow and see if we have to get referred to a gastroentologist(?) or we can just go on our own regards. Hopefully the later of the two. Ahh sorry kind of turned into a vent sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momy2beAUG.2009
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Thank you, its not really something I want to do. But I feel like the support from my doctor is lacking and even tthough he is all for breastfeeding he isnt givinng me details. Like should I not have any of the foods in the house, or foods that say that they are processed in places where they process those allergens are ok or not. And if those arent then whats the difference in eating those and preparing the other foods that are suppose to be eliminated in my diet. I also dont understand why he wont do the blood test to check for allergens, he mentioned it and then said it can be too sensitive or can narrow it right down. Why not at least try? We had a really rough last night because her belly was bothering her and I couldnt do anything to help her. I feel like I am failing, she shouldnt be in pain and I just feel a little out of control of the situation. I ate strawberries yesterday for the first time and am wondering if thats what did her in, adn I dont know.

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm really sorry that things are so tough :-( Maybe her digestive tract is still healing? I definitely think a second opinion is a good idea. As bad as this feels, I can tell you that your milk is still the best thing for her! Even if you never figure it 100% out, your milk is easier on her sensitive system than formula. You would have to go straight to a prescription elemental formula like elecare or neocate, since the over the counter formulas are made from milk & soy. I've heard of at least a couple of women who never intended to breastfeed having to relactate after their sensitive babies couldn't even handle THAT! Or they had to relactate after quitting breastfeeding because they didn't want to eliminate the allergens from their diets, but their baby couldn't tolerate any formula. There's actually a woman in my area that's always having to try to find donor breastmilk on the internet for her baby because she can't/won't bf for whatever reason and her baby can't handle any formula.

Anyway, I'm so sorry things are tough! You are doing your best for your baby, and that's so admirable :-) If you do think trying formula is what's best for your child, then hold your head high and don't feel bad! You've already done so much more than most moms would. Honestly most mothers that I've encountered run straight to hypoallergenic formula at the mere suggestion of diet modification. You are amazing!

Quoting Momy2beAUG.2009:

collinsmommy0
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
DSs excema cleared up almost completely about a month ago & he hasn't been spitting up!
I tried a cupcake (cooked milk)....hes 10 months....he gagged & almost threw up a bunch within 24 hours & has an excema flare up (not bad, though - like 2 or 3 spots).
Hopefully I can try dairy again around 11 months - the reaction wasn't as good as i hoped but not too bad, either - he got sick with a cold right at the same time so I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmycutebaby
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

We're doing well. DS can have foods with milk in them now which is a nice change, I don't have to read labels with a fine tooth comb. But he either gets gassy or a rash around his lips if he has too much cheese or even a tiny bit of butter so I don't dare go near milk or ice cream. He's 15 months.

preacherskid
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Doing okay. Waiting to get Maggie in to see an allergist about setting up skin prick and patch testing to pinpoint her allergies. Everyone else is well; Anah has a sensitivity to cinnamon of all things :P
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM
It's soooo nice when you can relax about the labels a bit!

Quoting luvmycutebaby:

We're doing well. DS can have foods with milk in them now which is a nice change, I don't have to read labels with a fine tooth comb. But he either gets gassy or a rash around his lips if he has too much cheese or even a tiny bit of butter so I don't dare go near milk or ice cream. He's 15 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM
How funny. My youngest the up the one time I gave him oatmeal with cinnamon. I didn't think about it being the cinnamon.

Quoting preacherskid:

Doing okay. Waiting to get Maggie in to see an allergist about setting up skin prick and patch testing to pinpoint her allergies. Everyone else is well; Anah has a sensitivity to cinnamon of all things :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Quoting larissalarie:

We share my oatmeal some mornings, and I love it with brown sugar and cinnamon. A few tries in, she started getting a red rash anywhere the food touched. So I tried plain oatmeal- no rash. Oatmeal with soy milk, with almond milk- no rash. Oatmeal with cinnamon- rash. So no cinnamon for Anah. There are worse things I guess, and it is just a contact reaction, so she will most likely out grow it in a year or so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)