Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and need advice.

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 139 Total Views

DS is 9weeks old and was having green and mucosy BM. So I eliminated dairy, soy and beef, and within 2 days he was better. I was wondering if its weird that the diet helped so quickly. I was also overproducing, and I am wondering if there is a link between overproduction and dairy. Everytime I try to slow down production by block feeding it doesnt work, but when I try this diet, which was suggested by his Dr, I make just enough milk for LO, I just noticed this correlation today.

Is it possible that the dairy is making me overproduce? I cant figure out if the green mucosy poop is from the overproduction or dairy, because they come in pairs.

Is it unusual for the diet to have worked so quickly? I hear it can take a month to see results.

Should I try introducing beef again, or wait a little longer? The only reason I ask instead of just going without, is because Im visiting family this weekend, and if I have to stay on this diet, as is, I will probably starve most of the weekend. :P

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Yes it's unusual to have it work that quickly. It takes at least 2 weeks to fully clear your system and potentially another 2 for baby. I've heard of noticing some improvement within a week, but never 2 days.
If you overproduce, that's almost certainly the issue. I don't know why you'd produce less when you're off dairy (since you haven't been off it long enough to clear your system any, even if there were some odd link between it and production -there isn't- it wouldn't help that soon) other than maybe you are taking in less fluids than you need and being dehydrated affects supply.

How long did you try block feeding to manage supply? How long were your blocks? It can take a couple of weeks for you to get it under control and if you were pumping to relieve yourself it wouldn't help at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I was doing 12hr blocks, then 8hrs after a while. Then one day I woke up and was barely producing enough to keep up with DS. I wonder if it might be dehydration, I will make it a point to drink more water. I never pumped, but I did express one time in the week I was block feeding, and that was the first day I was barely making enough.

Quoting larissalarie:

Yes it's unusual to have it work that quickly. It takes at least 2 weeks to fully clear your system and potentially another 2 for baby. I've heard of noticing some improvement within a week, but never 2 days.
If you overproduce, that's almost certainly the issue. I don't know why you'd produce less when you're off dairy (since you haven't been off it long enough to clear your system any, even if there were some odd link between it and production -there isn't- it wouldn't help that soon) other than maybe you are taking in less fluids than you need and being dehydrated affects supply.

How long did you try block feeding to manage supply? How long were your blocks? It can take a couple of weeks for you to get it under control and if you were pumping to relieve yourself it wouldn't help at all.

larissalarie
by Group Owner on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Why do you think you weren't making enough?

Quoting AlexSosa:

I was doing 12hr blocks, then 8hrs after a while. Then one day I woke up and was barely producing enough to keep up with DS. I wonder if it might be dehydration, I will make it a point to drink more water. I never pumped, but I did express one time in the week I was block feeding, and that was the first day I was barely making enough.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I didnt say I wasnt making enough, just barely enough. I made just enough for LO to eat, and then I was empty. So I was making enough, just not overproducing at all.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting larissalarie:

larissalarie
by Group Owner on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
That's perfect then! Overproduction is whatleads to the issues you're currently having. Making just enough is the goal :-)

(oh, and the breast is never truly empty, it's always making more if baby is there nursing and demanding it)

Quoting AlexSosa:

I didnt say I wasnt making enough, just barely enough. I made just enough for LO to eat, and then I was empty. So I was making enough, just not overproducing at all.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I know. I really want to stay where Im at for production, but sometimes I just start overproducing. I hate getting engorged and leaking through breast pads. I have no idea why I start overproducing, it starts all at once, and I overproduce by a lot.

Quoting larissalarie:

That's perfect then! Overproduction is whatleads to the issues you're currently having. Making just enough is the goal :-)

(oh, and the breast is never truly empty, it's always making more if baby is there nursing and demanding it)

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting AlexSosa:

Quoting larissalarie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)