Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk protein and soy intolerance. Any advice?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

LO has a milk protein and soy intolerance, so I am going to stick with this dairy and soy free diet. Does anyone have any advice for finding recipes, or dealing with this? Any experience, and advice for going out or visiting family? 

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
It's hard at first, but then you start figuring out what's ok and things get much easier. When I did it 4 years ago I wasn't the internet junkie I am today, but there are so many resources on the net that if I'd searched would have made things much easier and less boring! I've heard Godairyfree.com (or org) is great for dairy free advice. Avoiding soy is easy if you skip processed foods, which is a good idea when avoiding dairy as well.
You basically just need to prepare your own food and read labels for everything.
If you need more specific advice, just let me know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Replace milk with either coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk. Replace butter with Earth Balance Dairy/Soy free spread, replace yogurt and ice cream with So Delicious Coconut milk products. Replace cheese with Daiya. Do not eat processed foods and try not to eat out. Read all labels and definitely check out www.godairyfree.org for a complete list of things to avoid and hidden dairy.
preacherskid
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM
For going out www.allergyeats.com gives ratings and links to ingredient pages for most restaurants. As for family visits and meals, I have resorted to making basically a separate meal for myself and my dds, because no one is able to remember everything they used to cook with, the brand, ingredients, etc.
collinsmommy0
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM
It takes awhile to adjust, but it gets easier the longer you are doing it! I've found a lot of recipes in my Betty Crocker cookbook & my trader joes cookbook, & replace milk with vanilla almond milk & butter with earth balance butter (I don't know if that's soy free though)

I now cook mostly from scratch :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)