Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New To This

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 186 Total Views
Hey everyone. I've never had to eliminate anything from my diet before. I've always eaten well so I've never even attempted a diet in my life until now!

My DD is 8 weeks. I got to a weekly BF support group.

At 5 weeks she seemed a little extra gassy to me and the LC noticed a few bumps (mild) on her shoulders. No other symptoms at all. She immediately told me it was from a dairy intolerance and said I needed to cut major dairy. I did.

The gas cleared up within a day, so I really don't think it was milk related at all. The mild bumps were still there 2 weeks later though, and she had been getting a little fussy. At that time she told me to cut 100% of dairy. So I did.

Another week has passed with no change, expect baby is fussier and wanting to nurse frequently and not be put down. LC says its soy now and needs to be cut as well.

I haven't cut it yet because while shopping specifically for the dairy free diet, I did get a lot of items with soy. I have another week and a half before the next pay/shopping day and I would rather not starve.

I'm guess I'm not really convinced the dairy is/was our issue. I know it's common and I understand why. But the fact that before all of this she seemed fine to me (besides that small bout of gas), she has never spit up more than the "normal" amount, and her poop has always been normal too. Her rash is very minimal. And isn't the average peak of fussiness for babies around 8 weeks anyway? Exactly where she is at.

What do you guys that have experience with this think? Should I just suck it up and cut the soy, or would it be okay to reintroduce some dairy and see if there's a reaction. At least that way I could know if there's any purpose to all of this.. /:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM
I think your LC is trying to make breastfeeding more complicated for you than it needs to be :-)
Babies get gas, it's completely normal. Everyone gets gas actually, but babies have brand new systems that are still learning to work. And bumps in the skin? Well their skin is also new to being exposed to everything in the world! I would think sensitivity to laundry detergent, bath soap, clothing, etc before I'd think a few bumps were a real issue.

Usually you don't start altering your diet until things like major rashes, extreme distress, bloody stools, and poor growth (less than averaging a pound per month) are happening.

I will certainly help you avoid foods if you desire, but from what you describe I don't think it's necessary :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Thanks! I seem to be getting that same reaction a lot, along with the suggestion to find a new LC. My instinct has told me all along that there isn't really an issue here, but they made me feel like I was hurting the baby with my awful diet.

I really would rather not cut things out if i don't have to! I am going to reintroduce the dairy before cutting anything else, to see how it goes. Her pedi appt is next week, so maybe she will be more helpful instead of jumping to conclusions.

If you, or anyone, have tips on reintroduction, that would be helpful. I ate a chocolate chunk cookie after reading this (couldn't resist!) but I'm wondering if I should leave it at just that and wait (how long?) or do a little each day, or...? Since its been a few weeks I just don't want to bombard her.

Thanks again. Your reply (in addition to the others elsewhere) really make me feel like less of a crazy person for questioning my high and mighty LC!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, you can probably have as much dairy as you'd like immediately since you've only been completely off of it for a week. It takes at least 2 weeks for the dairy protein to clear your system and up to another 2 to clear baby's, so at this point baby is still getting dairy.

Otherwise to reintroduce you just go slow and see how baby reacts. Cheese, yogurt, and milk cooked into foods are easier to digest than plain milk so you try those first. If you have one thing and baby seems to do ok, then try can try a little bit more and if baby still seems fine, then you can resume unrestricted dairy consumption.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN