Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found out my 11 month old

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 133 Total Views
Is severely allergic to peanuts and dairy and he has 4 epi pens. I got him tested and he is plus 3 to dairy and plus 4 to peanuts. They said plus 4 is the most allergic you can be. So I guess no peanut anything or dairy while I'm bf him ....any advice?? I love cheese! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
angelbabies14
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Daiya is a good cheese replacement. Coconut milk products to replace milk products like, milk, ice cream, yogurt. Earth Balance Dairy/Soy free spread is a good butter replacement. Peanuts shouldn't be hard to avoid right now. If you like peanut butter, try almond butter or Sunflower seed butter instead. Check out www.godairyfree.org for a complete list of what to avoid when going dairy free. It's a big list. Things you would never think of! My son will be 3 next week and we've been free of those allergens (plus 30 more) since he was 5 months! If you need help, let me know!
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Does he exhibit any symptoms? I only ask because allergy testing isn't all that accurate, but it's usually not even done in young children because it's so unreliable. I know with my milk allergic kiddo the diagnoses was purely based on symptoms. Doctor said he's disturbed by how many families are struggling because they are avoiding all these foods because an allergyttest said so even though they've never had a reaction.

For example: I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. They ended up doing a food allergy panel with other blood work. It said I was moderately allergic to peanuts and highly allergic to apples. I can assure you that I've eaten apples with peanut or almond butter almost daily since forever and I am not allergic in the slightest :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
And if he is truly allergic, it just depends on the kid if the tiny traces that pass into breastmilk will bother him, most can handle that even if they can't eat it directly.
As far as cheese, they have rice & soy but most still contain dairy! Diaya is the only brand I'm completely certain is 100% dairy free. I'll be honest it's not the same :-\ I eventually gave up on cheese, you get used to it! After 3 years I was so used to cheeseless pizza it tasted weird when I could have it again. The first 2 months are the hardest, bit them you adjust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ktinaza
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Oh yes major hives with dairy and peanuts.

Quoting larissalarie:

Does he exhibit any symptoms? I only ask because allergy testing isn't all that accurate, but it's usually not even done in young children because it's so unreliable. I know with my milk allergic kiddo the diagnoses was purely based on symptoms. Doctor said he's disturbed by how many families are struggling because they are avoiding all these foods because an allergyttest said so even though they've never had a reaction.

For example: I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. They ended up doing a food allergy panel with other blood work. It said I was moderately allergic to peanuts and highly allergic to apples. I can assure you that I've eaten apples with peanut or almond butter almost daily since forever and I am not allergic in the slightest :-)
ktinaza
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM
He gets hives if I eat anything peanut or dairy when he nurses. Peanuts themselves are easy to avoid but he cannot have anything even processed in a plant with peanuts which is super hard to find stuff that isn't. ;(

Quoting larissalarie:

And if he is truly allergic, it just depends on the kid if the tiny traces that pass into breastmilk will bother him, most can handle that even if they can't eat it directly.

As far as cheese, they have rice & soy but most still contain dairy! Diaya is the only brand I'm completely certain is 100% dairy free. I'll be honest it's not the same :-\ I eventually gave up on cheese, you get used to it! After 3 years I was so used to cheeseless pizza it tasted weird when I could have it again. The first 2 months are the hardest, bit them you adjust.
larissalarie
by Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm my, I'm so sorry! That would be scary and difficult.

Quoting ktinaza:

He gets hives if I eat anything peanut or dairy when he nurses. Peanuts themselves are easy to avoid but he cannot have anything even processed in a plant with peanuts which is super hard to find stuff that isn't. ;(

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Maggie has no reactions to Tofutti brand cheese, and she will react to traces or cross contamination at this point.  That is the only df cheese within reasonable driving distance around here.  A coworker brought me some Daiya (bless her) for my birthday last year because her vegan daughter visited and she got it for her.  Still not the same as dairy cheese, and I love cheese, esp the sharp cheeses.  It does not love me or my girls.  Maggie does not mind the Tofutti so we keep it around for her, but I skip it entirely.  It just isn't the same :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)