Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Your Opinion

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 335 Total Views

So my husband and  have gotten fed up with apartment living. We live in Decatur in a nice area (near North Dekalb Mall). I absolutely love the area and the apartment complex is within our current budget for the location. As I said though, we are tired of apartment living. We've been in this complex for years and moved into a 2bd/2ba a year ago. Since moving into this apartment, its been bad. 3 months after we moved in, we started seeing roaches. We honestly thought it was us until we saw the inside of our neighbors apartment two stories above us. It was HORRIBLE. Now we had bought all types of sprays and traps and even told her leasing office about our roach problem. They were very slow in responding.

Our countertop above our dishwasher is leaning. It started leaning so bad we couldn't close the dishwasher. We told the leasing office about this, we just got a patch job. Um, the thing needs to be replaced. The cabinets are cheap and loose, the particle board is coming out, the paint is chipping for no reason. It's bad.

On top of that, they want to take our rent up. Really?! Then when we go to the office and tell them, they pretty much say these problems are out fault because we didn't report them. Um yes we did! You mean its our fault because we don't have time to call every other day to re report the problem you all haven't responded too. BTW, the new assistant manager was rude and there was not customer service involved when addressing my concern.

Our original plan was as soon as I finished nursing school, GET OUT OF HERE! That would be next June. It seems like an opportunity has come up. My co worker informed me that there was a home in her neighborhood that was for sale and that the owners were really nice. The home has been on the market for couple of years now and she mentioned that they were willing to rent it. After looking at pictures online, we got excited. It was renovated VERY nicely. We went to meet the owners and check out the home. The owners REALLY want to sell it to first time homebuyers. They are offering 3 year owner financing at $650 per month. After three years, we'd have to get another lender. That would give us time to get down payment.

Even though $650 per month is less that what we're paying now, the other financial committments (taxes, insurance, repairs) that come with owning a home would pretty much  have us paying the same amount we're paying now. The financial part is really only a concern for the next 15-18 months while I'm in school. After that, a situation like this is a steal! The living conditions would be better though and location is pretty good. It's in Edgewood (which can have some sketchy areas.)

Can I get you all's opinion? Based on location (Edgewood) and the description of our current situation. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your time.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
1stbabyoct10
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Bump....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
giggle
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I would say if it won't be a financial burden on you now and you will be ok when the time comes to refinance, go for it. I know nothing of the area, but having lived in apartments for awhile, I have to say I love owning our own house and knowing we can do whatever we want and fix whatever needs to. Good luck in whatever you decide.

mamame42
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was on board with you moving until you said edgewood. Here is a company geared to placing financial and credit challenged people in homes. Get Home Now. com and their #1-877-484-6669 (PHONE),

maccheese
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks! So you're not feeling Edgewood? Thats the kind of feed back I need.

Quoting mamame42:

I was on board with you moving until you said edgewood. Here is a company geared to placing financial and credit challenged people in homes. Get Home Now. com and their #1-877-484-6669 (PHONE),

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN