Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

trouble bonding

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 211 Total Views

My little Wesley for whatever reason is having a hard time bonding with dh.  He acts like he is half afraid of him most of the time and we can't figure out why.  He LOVES me and the girls but he just for some reason isn't sure about dh yet (he doesnt' like strangers either)

any tips?

by on Oct. 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
haymama
by Group Owner on Oct. 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Maybe have dh keep some treats on hand and anytime dh goes to interact with him he gives wesley a treat pets him and says good boy. And for strangers walks may help, or going to petmart and have treats on had to encourage socialization so he will see it as a positive experience?. I know Bobbie Sue is very food motivated lol training her with treats has been very effective.
**Check Out My BLOODHOUND MAMAS Group**
brandspanknnew
by New Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

She's right, treats are a wonderful way to get your little ball o' fur to warm up to him. The strangers part may be a good thing to an extent, but for the guests you have coming to your house I'd even have a little bowl of treats on a table where the guests usually are in the house. Also, when I had my previous dog, who actually was a Thai Ridgeback/Malinois, she wouldn't warm up to strangers either. So I put a baby gate up in the doors for the room where we gathered and kind of just made her stay in there with the guests. Eventually she realized all they wanted was to love and pet her and she started eating it up. Didn't have another problem out of her on that topic for the rest of our time with her. She loved people after that.

Bluetick
by Member on Nov. 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Sometimes we must remember that dogs are like people and we dont like everyone we are around all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandspanknnew
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Well of course! But sometimes it's not because they don't like THE PEOPLE, sometimes it's just obedience and letting them get used to social events, especially with young pups such as hers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)