Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome and Introductions

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 384 Total Views

Hello all,

Welcome to the group, please post an introduction of yourself here. I'll go first:

I'm Kate, 26 years old. I am married to my high school sweetheart, we have two beautiful boys. James who is 4 and Theodore who is 6 months old. I work outside the home and I go to the local university part time. I was taught ASL as a baby and continued to learn more as I grew older, now I work in a group home for deaf teens

. When my dh and I had our 1st boy we started teaching him at about 6 months by the time he was 8 mo old he could tell us what food he wanted to eat. We continued to teach him and sign with him until he lost interest at about 2-2.5. Now that we are begining to teach our 2nd son, James our 1st son is interested again.

I hope to meet some new people and share stories, experiences and laughs with you.

welcome     have a nice day

CafeMom Tickers  CafeMom Tickers  

by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymom3910
by Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi my name is April and I'm 38 years old with 4 children. We have a blended family of the mine-his-ours. Mine is Forrest and he's 17, his is Caroline and she's 12, then the ours is Ella and she is 4 and then our sweet Bayleigh who is 2. Bayleigh is the reason we are having to learn sign language. Bayleigh was diagnosed with Angelman Syndrome right before her first birthday. With AS speech is a big issue. We started learning sign language right after her diagnosis and today she has some speech (about 75 words) but signs just as many, in fact she'll say and sign together. This helps because sometimes I'll understand the sign better than the way she's attempting to say the word. Ella my 4 year old is learning signing also. We do LOTS of Signing Time dvd's and I have a couple of signing books and we use http://www.lifeprint.com/ as a really good reference. Here is a picture of our sweet Bayleigh

MommyHoney22
by Group Owner on Nov. 5, 2011 at 1:27 AM
Welcome, please feel free to try to get more members so this group can grow and flourish!

I truely believe signing is very helpful for all children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz_orange
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 AM

HI! I'm Shaylynne and I'm a SAHM to my beautiful son, Hanley, who will be 4 months on the 18th. I'm very interested in teaching him sign language. I'm determined to make communication easier for when he's old enough to sign. My DF is very hesitant though, thinking our son will prefer to sign instead of talk. i'm trying to tell him all about the positive things about it, including that it will actually incourage him to talk sooner and also raise his I.Q., but he's not set on it. So, I'm the only one who wil be signing. I need support, so here I am!

meglennox
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Hi, my name is Megan. I am 32yrs old and i have been married to my hubby Brandon going on three years. We have three boys, Brodey is 4, Mason is 2 and Orran is 4months. I'm very curious about learning sign language for Mason and Orran. Mason is in speech therapy and i think if i worked with him with signning along with the verbal, i could understand him better. And i just love the idea of knowing what Orran wants sooner then later. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meglennox
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

My three boys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Hi my name is Rebecca and I have three children. I taught my first a few important signs until he could talk at three years. My DD learned to talk early and easy. My third is 3.5 months old and want to teach her sign, as much as I can. I have been going to youtube for help. My DH is very supportive and loves to learn so he can sign as welll :)  Happy to be here.

MommyHoney22
by Group Owner on Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Welcome everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apaxton
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Hi, I'm Amanda. My husband and I have 3, "yours, mine and ours," children. The oldest, my son, 23, recently graduated from college and now works NAVSEA in Washington DC. The two remaining (the "yours" and "ours") live with us. They are girls, 18 and 6 (can you guess which one is the "ours!"). I am a WAHM and teach baby sign language, which I am absolutely passionate about. I love the fact that babies can communicate their wants, feelings and observations before they are able to speak, and I am honored that I get to share the gift of signing with little ones as a career. I am also the founder and webmaster of the baby-sign-language-academy.com website, so when I am not personally teaching a class or workshop you can usually find me at my computer adding, updating and maintaining this website which in itself is a full-time job.

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

MommyHoney22
by Group Owner on Nov. 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM
That's sounds like a wonderful career how did you get into that?

Quoting apaxton:

Hi, I'm Amanda. My husband and I have 3, "yours, mine and ours," children. The oldest, my son, 23, recently graduated from college and now works NAVSEA in Washington DC. The two remaining (the "yours" and "ours") live with us. They are girls, 18 and 6 (can you guess which one is the "ours!"). I am a WAHM and teach baby sign language, which I am absolutely passionate about. I love the fact that babies can communicate their wants, feelings and observations before they are able to speak, and I am honored that I get to share the gift of signing with little ones as a career. I am also the founder and webmaster of the baby-sign-language-academy.com website, so when I am not personally teaching a class or workshop you can usually find me at my computer adding, updating and maintaining this website which in itself is a full-time job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apaxton
by Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I'm not really sure how it happened, LOL. I knew I wanted to start teaching because of the amazing things our family experienced as a result of signing with our daughter so I brushed up on my sign language ( had taken some formal classes years earlier, but forget most of it) by taking more formal classes at our local college. Then, I researched baby sign language programs and became certified through one that matched my teaching philosophy. After a few years with that program, I switched over to the Signing Time Academy when they opened their instructor network in 2010. The biz has it's up and downs, and truthfully, isn't very profitable, but I get to share something I love and believe in with amazing families and beautiful children and you can't put a price on that! 

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN