Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Worked What Didn't?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

14 month old DS is exploding with signs (and to a slower degree spoken language) lately.  Kid just can't get enough.  I'm constantly looking for new signs to teach him, though it's hard to keep up with that kid!

What signs worked best with your little one?  What signs didn't really work out or did your LO never really pick up?

Bath was the first sign that DD really got, and as soon as he figured that one out, he was on a roll.  More, Hungry, Thirsty, Train, ball, car, . . .   and on and on.

The one I was surprised he doesn't really do is banana.  Kid loves bananas, but doesn't do the sign.  I think it's mainly because he can just point and sign hungry.  He also doesn't do mommy or daddy but I think that's because he learned the words before he really started mimicking signs.

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, semi-vegetarian, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (8), the cutest baby boy ever born, two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife.  I have an opinion on everything.
My Blog:
Cheap Wine and Cookies

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
apaxton
by Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Children will ususally sign what is important to them as well as what signs are consistently used, though they typically still KNOW the signs they don't seem to use. We began signing with our daughter pretty much from birth and she did the same thing as your l/o at first with selective signing. She absolutely knew the signs, though, she just didn't necessarily feel the need to use them at first. She began speaking very early but, as is the case with most new talkers, wasn't very clearly understood by most of us. It was at this point that she began signing all those signs she didn't use much in the beginning as she realized that it helped us to figure out what she was trying to say a whole lot faster. Your son is still so young that you may find this will occur with him as well. There may come a point when he wants you to know it's the banana he wants, not the ball or the bottle or the boat, so he'll use the sign while speaking to get it quicker. Remember to keep consistent with your use of signing. Always say and sign the words you are communicating as you are going about your day. Your l/o may or may not use some signs but the most important thing is that you are communicating and understanding each other, which is really what signing is all about.

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

MommyHoney22
by Group Owner on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

the ones that worked best with my ds were food related and please and thank you and sorry.

He actually was able to order his own meal at a resaurant with my mother using asl at 15 mo.

My ds picked up everything I taught him that I can remember, but now that hes 4 he doesnt really use it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN