Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your baby reconize a sign or signing if 5-6 months old?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

My LO reconizes "milk" she will smile and get realy exceited.

by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mz_orange
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Same with Hanley. If I sign milk, he smiles, kicks, and looks in the direction of his bottle. If I sign mama, he reaches his arms up at me. For food, he stops whining and gets smiley haha. Same with more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

That is awesome! 

Quoting mz_orange:

Same with Hanley. If I sign milk, he smiles, kicks, and looks in the direction of his bottle. If I sign mama, he reaches his arms up at me. For food, he stops whining and gets smiley haha. Same with more.

mz_orange
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Isn't it crazy?? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Im waiting for her to repeat the signs, one day my family thought she did but cant be certain tho.

MommyHoney22
by Group Owner on Jan. 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM
My youngest recognizes more and milk, but doesn't repeat or imitate the sign yet...he's almost 9 mo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
apaxton
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Babies have the ability to understand and use language (and thereby signs) by 5 to 7 months old; however, they are unable to express verbally because the muscles required for speech are not developed enough to allow for articulation. If a baby is consistently exposed to signs, he or she should absolutely be able to understand the concepts being communicated. Receptive understanding of signs always come before a baby is able to sign expressively. Expressive signing usually occurs around 9 to 12 months of age (I have heard of babies expressively signing as young as 4 or 5 months, but this is not the norm), but, again, much is dependant upon exposure and how consistently signs are being used on a daily basis. Also remember that each baby develops are his or her own pace so ages given are approximations. 

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

Baby4us09
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thank you.  She is a smart cookie. I would sign "milk" to her and she would smile at first. Then slowly she would lift her hand but nothing, for a while. Then one day she signed it and we were like, what?  We signed it again for her and she signed back. So I fed her. :) She was happy.  I always use "milk" when I feed her. I am hoping that will help her learn it faster. 

Quoting apaxton:

Babies have the ability to understand and use language (and thereby signs) by 5 to 7 months old; however, they are unable to express verbally because the muscles required for speech are not developed enough to allow for articulation. If a baby is consistently exposed to signs, he or she should absolutely be able to understand the concepts being communicated. Receptive understanding of signs always come before a baby is able to sign expressively. Expressive signing usually occurs around 9 to 12 months of age (I have heard of babies expressively signing as young as 4 or 5 months, but this is not the norm), but, again, much is dependant upon exposure and how consistently signs are being used on a daily basis. Also remember that each baby develops are his or her own pace so ages given are approximations. 

apaxton
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

That's fantastic....you're doing great! The Baby Sign Language Academy has a tips for signing success page that can also be downloaded. There is lots of free info there so it's a good resource if you're ever in need. Happy Signing! :)

Baby4us09
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Thank you for this?

Quoting apaxton:

That's fantastic....you're doing great! The Baby Sign Language Academy has a tips for signing success page that can also be downloaded. There is lots of free info there so it's a good resource if you're ever in need. Happy Signing! :)

apaxton
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)