Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby girl signs...

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

Mama

Up

Milk

We are working on Daddy but its not going so well.  Why is his one so different than mama?

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
yelannun
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Maybe because Mommy might do more for her or she feels she *needs* Mommy more...babies sign what the want/need first Mama, up, and milk sounds like what she wants/needs! :) Also look for sign approximations. My son signed cow, horse, and daddy all the same way (index finger tapping the top of his head), you could differentiate between the 3 signs by context (or animal sounds!). 

apaxton
by Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM

What the previous poster said, as well as it could also be that she thinks she is doing it correctly. Babies don't have the same control and perception of how they are signing when they first start. You definitely do have to watch for sign approximations at this age. They will often sign things backwards or in different locations or with different hand movements. The important thing is to remember to be consistent yourself. Whenever you are talking about Daddy, or in her interactions with daddy, be sure to consistenly model and say the sign to help her make the connection. I promise that if you are consistent she will definitely get it! 

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

Baby4us09
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you. Will keep an eye out for approximations.  Now that I think of it she signed what may have been daddy by her ear. she did it a few times. Could that be it? If so weird but cute.

Quoting apaxton:

What the previous poster said, as well as it could also be that she thinks she is doing it correctly. Babies don't have the same control and perception of how they are signing when they first start. You definitely do have to watch for sign approximations at this age. They will often sign things backwards or in different locations or with different hand movements. The important thing is to remember to be consistent yourself. Whenever you are talking about Daddy, or in her interactions with daddy, be sure to consistenly model and say the sign to help her make the connection. I promise that if you are consistent she will definitely get it! 

apaxton
by Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL....My guess is she is approximating DADDY!  How cute. :)

Quoting Baby4us09:

Thank you. Will keep an eye out for approximations.  Now that I think of it she signed what may have been daddy by her ear. she did it a few times. Could that be it? If so weird but cute.

Quoting apaxton:

Amanda :)
Happy Wife and Mother of Three
and Baby Sign Language Educator

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)