Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does a celebrity endorsement of a candidate affect your vote?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM
  • 26 Replies

I wonder this every time election season rolls around, there are countless celebrities willing to publicly endorse candidates in an attempt to sway our votes.  I don't really get this, I suppose, just because I enjoy your movies, or TV show, doesn't mean we share the same goals for our country or political affiliations.  When it comes right down to it, there couldn't be less in common between the average American and Hollywood celebrities.  Do you agree or disagree?

Does a celebrity endorsement affect your vote? Do you think it affects others?

by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM

No it doesnt

bamababe1975
by Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean I'm more or less inclined to join them in choosing a candidate. I adore Aerosmith, for example, but just because they endorsed Kerry in the last election doesn't mean I voted for him. They're a group I enjoy, but not role models (which is a good thing, lol).

However, I will say that I so often disagree with actress Susan Sarandon that if she came out and 100% endorsed someone and championed them openly, I'd be a little more inclined to vote against them, lol. ;)

ARmom
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Absolutely not. Sometimes it has the opposite effect.

Sekirei
by Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Nope... though, certain celeb endorsements will make me vote the exact opposite.

SisterPeach
by Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM

NO, it doesn't.

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM
It really doesn't.
StevensCare4u
by Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No and its sad when people let that be. Its sad to say that we encourage the younger people to vote, which is great, but they dont vote for the right reasons. When Obama was elected, everyday I heard, Im voting for him cause hes black, or Im voting for Hillary cause shes a woman. Change is a must in our country to continue on a great path. However if we chose our leaders just by race, sex, or a celeberty endorsement we are just as terrible as every other terrible country!

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Actually, most of the time it will turn me off more than anything else.

hubbynme2
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM

No one affects my vote except the politician. I think shallow people would look to see who is voting for who and follow their lead. Why can't they make up their own minds?

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It doesn't affect my vote at all... it does turn me off to the celeb.  I have been known to "take my business elsewhere" when they get involved in politics. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN