Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are your family’s finances better off than they were 3 years ago?

Posted by   + Show Post

How would you describe your family’s financial situation right now?

Has it gotten better or worse in the past three years?

by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM
Replies (171-180):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Improving. Our income is up, but so are costs (gas, groceries). We also had another child within the past three years. He's definitely impacted our cash flow, but we expected that. lol

eta: My online book business is shaky thanks to ereaders. DAMN YOU AMAZON!

I didn't know that you had an online book business.  What is it?  It was always my dream to open a used book store.  I thought it would be fun to retire to the Oregon coast and open up a little used book store and coffee shop.  Ereaders definitely have me re-thinking retirement.   :/

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Things are better for us.  As construction is picking back up, my DH wants to sell his truck and get back into construction.  That's what he was doing when the economy tanked, so he bought his truck, but he hates trucking.  He's looking forward to getting back into construction.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I'll send you the link! Ironically, I sell on Amazon. I know, I know...it's a sick, sick relationship. But, when brick and mortar stores are going belly up, we have to go to the only man in town. We have a great relationshp with one of the region's favorite used books stores. We bring them everything we don't list on Amazon and they get some great new stock. I love books. I love buying them, I love selling them. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Improving. Our income is up, but so are costs (gas, groceries). We also had another child within the past three years. He's definitely impacted our cash flow, but we expected that. lol

eta: My online book business is shaky thanks to ereaders. DAMN YOU AMAZON!

I didn't know that you had an online book business.  What is it?  It was always my dream to open a used book store.  I thought it would be fun to retire to the Oregon coast and open up a little used book store and coffee shop.  Ereaders definitely have me re-thinking retirement.   :/

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Oh, and reading books. I love to read. lol

jimbosmom
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I really hate election years. I don't know if I'm getting old and crabby (I'll be 56 next week) or if the issues are so much more important to me and the Senate and Congress are full of idiots who are on a field trip for the year.

So for the first time in a very long time we have a Republican run House. The word of the year seems to be "BIPARTISM" and everyone still points their finger at everyone else.

I am glad that I do not have to lay down and die having to choose between Perry, Gingrich or some of the others that have gone their own ways. Romney is going to be a joke all the way to the end. He knows how to create jobs? Yes, he does. He is the brain behind outsourcing. You know, when you have to call your bank about something and first you choose whether you want to disuss this in English or Spanish which doesn't matter because you'll be connected to Bangaladesh or somewhere else that you can't understand what they're saying to you.

Student Loans are out of control. The average 4 year student leaves college with about $87,000 in student loans - that's the smaller number. Doctors and other vocations that take more than 4 years can reach loans in the six digit figures. The generations we are counting on fixing the country and taking care of us in our old age are going to begin their life with payments on their education which are more than our house payments were on our first home.

No money was put into the budget for student loan interest. It was ok, it's a little game they play called creative accounting. The budget is passed and once so, Congress reviews it and says, ok, let's take some of the money from the American Health Care Act and move it into the Student Loan Interest fund. That should do it, for they had already discussed this with Congress, the Senate and the President prior to approving the budget.

Now it is the Senate's turn. They are to debate the decision of taking money from the American Health Care Act and moving it over to the Student Loan Interest Fund, a mere $1.2 mil is all that's needed.  But the Replican Senators are angry. This is the type of creative accounting that must be stopped! No! No we will NOT appprove any monies being moved from the Health Care Act into Student Loans. No, we've had it with spending money we don't have. Raise the interest on student loans from 3.? percent to 6.? percent. That will take care of it.  Then they spent the evening listening to all the backlash that they are receiving because of this stupid little student loan thing.

The next day the Senate reports for work and after giving Congress a good chewing out, proceed to PRINT UP $1.2 MILLION TO COVER THE STUDENT LOAN INTEREST value on the budget.

I think it's time, way past time to hold both the Congress and the Senate responsible for any and all that should be done and isn't anymore. The budget should be in on time, balanced, and no programs that are needed are to be cut, such as payments to schools, interest on student loans, payments for social security cost of living increases, medicare.

Members of Congress and the Senate should have to participate in the same retirement program as do I. Social Security and Medicare. Why do they receive special dispensations allowing them to participate in the same program as the president?

There should be term limits for members of Congress and the Senate. There are limits on how long the President can serve, why not how long the members of the House can serve?

Members of Congress and Senate should be required to announce at the beginning of each session, whose pockets they are in - i.e., who is paying them for special treatments so we know right up front what and how to deal with each of the 'gentlement' should or could be dealt with. Perhaps they can wear patches like those of NASCAR which announce whose pants pockets they are in.

Why do the wives of the Senators and Congressmen receive $200,000 a year retirement pay? That is how much the president receives. Why do they deserve any retirement pay? My daughter in law has been with my son who is serving his 6th year in the Army. He is at their beck and call 24/7, he has served several deployments into war zones. She doesn't get $200,000 a year in retirement funds when he retires, when he is deployed for 12 or 18 months, he doesn't get to come home for holidays or just because. He doesn't get to take his family to the Hamptons or to Nags Head even because they can't afford to go anywhere with his pay and schedule.

Before we can even start changing the way the country operates today, I believe we need to start from within and change the way the goverment has operated for more than a hundred years. Technology has changed, the way Congress and the Senate has changed, but government itself has not changed. I think it's about time to clean house and get government up to speed with the rest of the world and as representatives of constituants in their states, I think payrates should be a no-brainer discussion. NO MORE VOTING YOURSELVES RAISES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, TAGGED ON AT THE LAST MOMENT TO A BILL THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PAY RATE!

President Obama, it is time to clean the Senate and the Congress of all waste and corruption. Get that big pushbroom out - you're going to need it!

Linda Bush
Richmond, VA

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Oops, looks like nobody's perfect.....................................

I'm gonna vote for Romney, not for the doofus I do Know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      simple smile

If Romney really wanted a juicy example of outsourcing, he would have to look no further than the president's jobs council.

Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, 26 business leaders assembled by the president for job-spurring ideas, includes representatives of several companies that have used outsourcing, fueling job creation abroad and job losses in the U.S. Shipping work to low-cost overseas labor markets has been a trend in American manufacturing for decades. The White House has a plan to curb outsourcing, but companies represented on the jobs council reveal just how pervasive the practice is.

There’s General Electric, whose CEO Jeffrey Immelt has served as chair of the advisory board since January 2011. Since Immelt took over GE in 2001, the company has lost 37,000 American jobs, and added 25,000 jobs overseas, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Some of those U.S. job losses are inflated by the company’s sale of NBC to Comcast in 2009.

Chris Townsend, political director of the United Electrical Workers labor union that represents roughly 5,500 GE employees in the U.S., said the company has closed more than 30 U.S. plants since Obama took office. GE would not confirm the number.

GE "is a company that, despite the constant claims of growth, continues to shrink in the United States,” Townsend said. “These are a mixture of things from garden-variety, old-line manufacturing plants to electrical apparatus service facilities, sometimes something to do with servicing. Several of them were GE Capital.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com

jacksonsmomma1
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM

worse:  Hubby in miltary. Some months he doesn't get paid on time. We have had to borrow money from parents just to pay bills because they don't pay us correctly. Sometimes they short us money. It is sick.. They are treating military families bad... Health insurance keeps going up. My son get speech therapy and it is 40 dollars a time. He behavioral doctor is 40 dollars. It really ads up quick.. I am voting Romney for sure.. Try something different

GardenerArtist
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I saw the economic disaster years ago, so we started to prepare for it.  we traded in our Jetta, for a Honda Fit, just got that paid off, it saved us so much in gas that the gas savings paid for 1/3 of the car payment. It needed not one repair, only new brake pads, tires and oil changes.  Cars were always a big expense for us before, so we saved a lot with our Honda Fit.  We bought a house 9 yrs ago, under market value because it needed a lot of work.  I wanted to make sure that no matter what we could afford the mortage payment.

I grew up poor, so I know how to make do, or do without.  We don't use charge card except in an extreme emergency, so not much debt.  We have medical bills though, which costs us a lot.

We have taken only 4 vacations in 20 yrs. We've worked hard to position ourselves as best we can to cope with a bad economy.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Shitty!!! It is worse that 4 years ago way worse!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN