Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are your family’s finances better off than they were 3 years ago?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM
  • 191 Replies

How would you describe your family’s financial situation right now?

Has it gotten better or worse in the past three years?

by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

yes.

Much better than 3 years ago...

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM

In one respect we are better off then three years ago with my pay raises however DH has had a pay freeze for the last three years and now we are closer to the time in our mortgage that it will start adjusting and long story short the bank won't work with us.  When that rate starts adjusting we will not be able to keep our home.

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM

worse now than 3 years ago

baby2zacharias
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM
up until a few months ago we were steadily climbing up. Then one day it was an avalanche and were back to where we started
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angie_F
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Up until last year we were doing great! Looking into buying a house great!!! then my HS got a dui, totaled our car that we had just paid off. plus go fines and bail. It was bad spiral from there. Thankfully we had family that let us move in, so we could get back on our feet. My HS is working two jobs and I work part time and go to school. We just moved into our own place, and we are gradually catching back up

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Worse.

We can't seem to make our dollars stretch as far as we once could. Food costs are higher, gas is higher, etc.

JTNMD711
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

No def worse than 3 years ago...and my SO has gotten a better job and makes more money, but now it costs so much more money for him to get to his job(its much further away, so gas and tolls) and our wonderful governor Christie just started making state workers pay 20% of their health benefits passed in June-so he ends up actualy making less money as a Corrections officer than he was when he worked as a dispatcher for our local police department. Our food costs for our son keep getting higher and higher every year and his pay does increase slightly every year BUT his pay is not increasing as fast as we need it to meet the cost of living increases, PLUS my food stamps were taken away last year because they stopped giving them to full-time students, and our health insurance copays have increased from  $5 to $15 a visit and my son has autism and other health problems so this has been such a terrible year for us.

I graduate in Febuary and So gets his big raise in Febuary so I am hoping next year will be better!!

myteatime
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM

We're better in some ways, worse in others.  I was unemployed and we were making on on my unemployment.  Now I have a job but the house is more or less gone at this point.  But we're in a better place, with more opportunity for employment for both of us and better education for the kids.  But it doesn't feel much better because we're paying off credit cards from the unemployment period, pay twice what we paid for housing (living in more expensive area), and groceries and gas are so expensive.  So, the future looks better but now is tough.

.LoVeMyBuG.
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Much better for us! 

momtolittleg
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Better in that we are on a tight budget because we are saving for a down payment on our new house we're building.  We're making about the same, but not spending it so frivolously, so we feel like we are in a better place.  Hubby was out of work for about 2 months back in the spring, and his new job pays a bit less, AND we have 2 car payments now since he doesn't have a company vehicle.  But we still feel like we're better off.  Yay for budgets!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)