• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ObamaCare

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
  • 13 Replies

Are you for or against it?

Should it be repealed?

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I am for universal health care but I'm not sure if that is what ObamaCare is actually doing. :/ So I have no idea if I am for or against it. I would have to know more about it.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some good things about it and somethings that surely need to be reworked.

I beleive it is high time at least the topic is STARTED. Unlike what some wanted is everyone paying a Insurance TAX  or a TAX on the insurance that we get as part of my husband benefit package.

44 years of discussing it was enough so now they can look at it tweak it where need be nothing is cut in stone, and I believe it still Benefit the Insurance and Medical industries more then the people in some  cases.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Against.

I work for a small company who's corporate office is in Massachusetts.  Massachusetts put in place 'RomneyCare' in 2006.  It was supposed to help those without insurance get insurance.  It's like a mini Obamacare.  It includes a mandate requiring everyone to get health insurance (just like in Obamacare).  If you do not get health insurance, there was an additional tax of $219 (in 2007).  By 2011, this increased to between $228 and $1212 a year.  

There is a State run Exchange, just like in Obamacare.  People who are unelegible for MassHealth, aka Medicaid, but still can't afford health insurance get a subsidy to buy health insurance through the Exchange.

Here's what I've experienced from RomneyCare.  Since 2007 to 2011, my health insurance rates have increased 45%.  That's right....45%.  My employer pays 1/2 and I pay 1/2.  

There is a shortage of Doctors and Nurses in MA, and the state is going bankrupt, so I have no idea how the Federal Government is going to do a better job.  I mean, didn't Obama say that if more people carry insurance, the cost will go down?  Um...no.  That's not happening.  Quite the opposite.

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I don't agree with the mandate portion of Obamacare.  I don't believe the federal government can require everyone to purchase something from a private company.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

I don't agree with the mandate portion of Obamacare.  I don't believe the federal government can require everyone to purchase something from a private company.

I also do not agree with that.

SisterPeach
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Oh, Obamacare. 

Where do I start?

The bill is an actual, verifiable mess. I "like" that parents can keep their kids on their plans later, and there is something else I like, but I can't remember what it is right now. 

What I don't like:

1) The bill does not address supply. There is a huge decrease in the supply of primary care available. It's shrinking by the day. By 2014, the bill adds several million people to the fray without shoring up the care available. This alone will INCREASE the costs of available care while decreasing quality. This is NEVER good.

2) the mandate. Them insurance companies gots paid. Which is REALLY confusing, because the insurance companies are 85% of the problem with high costs. 

3) No tort reform. I know this is a typical Conservative sticking point, but I don't care. It's necessary if we want to decrease costs.

Please don't ask me for a source, these are my opinions from reading that unholy mess.

marcoarea
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Many problems with the health care bill.  There are too many buried issues in the bill.  In order to truly understand it one needs to sit down with the whole thing and take it apart piece by piece.  You will be surprised at some of the items that have nothing whatever to do with health care. 

I lived in a country with socialized medicine.  The care was horrible.  The best doctors worked in the universities since they couldn't make a decent living in the outside world.  Many inferior doctors went door to door to earn extra money, seriously, and 'found' bogus diseases in order to be paid.  I know this since I was a victim.  I was fortunate that I didn't do the 'cure' that he recommended.

Please think long and hard before you support this monstrosity of a bill. 

There is no doubt that our current health care system needs an overhaul.  JUST NOT THIS!

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Well things has to start somewhere and not keep getting up off.

So now it is there. Honestly it is the Failure of our Government to actually work together that is the Problem. They all had a chance to work on this together but Many refused whatsoever to even discuss this and work on a solutions.Our Government is an epic failure and in effective at this point in time.

Why should those of us with Insurance that keep going up every year continue to pay high prices because of people that do not have any Access to Health Care? We are going to PAY one way or another.   Our Insurance benefit keep going down and the price keeps going up.  Deductible are outrageous and they can't even cover preventive test like Colonoscopy at 100% like mammograms. If they do one biopsy it become a Surgery GMAB. I got charged TWICE for a Colonoscopy because the Dr. did TWO Types of Biopsy this is not right.

gingersnap30
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I am all for every American who wants health care to have access to health care in some form. I am not for Obamacare, for a couple reasons. It forces people to take coverage who may not want coverage, or fines them for not buying it. (That is illegal on every other sale, so why should this be different). It also has wording within the policy that allows for the government to determine who gets care and who doesn't. By this wording, I can be denied a surgery, because the surgeries don't fix the problems, they only alleviate pain. It can also not allow surgery or treatments based on age, and I don't think that's right either.

There are other things I am against in this option, but I can't think of them off the top of my head, and Iw ould need to reread the entire thing to remember them all.

paganbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM

This.

Quoting PEEK05:

I am for universal health care but I'm not sure if that is what ObamaCare is actually doing. :/ So I have no idea if I am for or against it. I would have to know more about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)