Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The big 3 : Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
MTM
  • 11 Replies

Should they be  on the table for cuts by the Supercommitee what are your thoughts ?

We the People, a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama Administration to take action on a range of issues.

This is one of the petitions: Remove Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare off the table for cuts. We paid into these programs.

You can view and sign the petition here if you like : http://wh.gov/bZG

If a petition gets enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I would need to know what percentage of taxes are going towards these programs before I could say.

txmom-o-3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this

It would depend on just what it is they want to cut.  Having spent 20 years dealing with Medicare and Medicaid at my previous job, I know there is a lot of waste and things that could and should be cut without directly affecting what a Dr. is paid for services, or real benefits to the recipients.  I also think there is room for improvement in Social Security without cutting benefits to the elderly, and to those who are disabled that paid into the system for many many years prior to becoming disabled.

MTM
by MTM on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Quoting txmom-o-3:

It would depend on just what it is they want to cut.  Having spent 20 years dealing with Medicare and Medicaid at my previous job, I know there is a lot of waste and things that could and should be cut without directly affecting what a Dr. is paid for services, or real benefits to the recipients.  I also think there is room for improvement in Social Security without cutting benefits to the elderly, and to those who are disabled that paid into the system for many many years prior to becoming disabled.

I agree.. I also support not raising the retirement age as many are close to it and it just does not seem fair .

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I will not be signing it. I think that Medicare especially needs some cuts and/or changes to it.

MTM
by MTM on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Quoting PEEK05:

I will not be signing it. I think that Medicare especially needs some cuts and/or changes to it.

I agree to changes if it makes it better, but not cuts we pay into these programs to have when we retire  via  automatic  tax  deductions on our pay checks  so cuts to it i can not support.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MTM:

Quoting PEEK05:

I agree to changes if it makes it better, but not cuts we pay into these programs to have when we retire  via  automatic  tax  deductions on our pay checks  so cuts to it i can not support.

Well yeah, maybe not cuts but definitely changes. Our average lifespan has increased over the years and so people are on it longer and longer because our senior citizen age remains the same. Maybe the age someone becomes a senior citizen should raise.  I took a Gerontology course and it was shocking to see how high Medicare spending. Medicare spending is much higher than Medicaid.

It's also sad because my Gerontology book was putting a correlation between Social Security and Medicare. Apparently some elderly rely solely on their Social Security because they didn't plan for their retirement since they knew they were getting that money but that their Social Security is NOT enough to really survive on so they become low-income elderly. They couldn't afford private insurance on their own. I think people should start planning for Social Security as a SUPPLEMENT (which may not even be there by the time I am retirement age as I'm still only 23) and start saving for their own retirement funds. I can't remember the exact statistics but it was sad to see the correlation. If people planned better, we may be able to spend less on Medicare and use it mostly for those who have chronic illnesses or the elderly that cannot live independently without help.

txmom-o-3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

The maximum SS benefit is around 1100.00.  A person who works 45 years, retiring at the age of 65, would have paid in enough to SS (along with the employer match) to draw that benefit amount for about 15 years. A person receiving the full SS benefit amount would have also paid in over 40,000.00 into Medicare Part A.  I started working at the age of 15, so by the time I reach 67 (the retirement age for full benefits for me), I will have paid in much more than these amounts.  Benefit amounts to those who have paid into the programs for 40-50 years do not need to be reduced, nor should the retirement age to receive them be increased.  Medicare and Social Security, for those who have paid into it, are not entitlement programs like Medicaid is.  There is a lot of mismanagment, and waste in these programs though.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM
It depends....
Those programs do need cuts and they need to be restructured...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTM
by MTM on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Quoting txmom-o-3:

The maximum SS benefit is around 1100.00.  A person who works 45 years, retiring at the age of 65, would have paid in enough to SS (along with the employer match) to draw that benefit amount for about 15 years. A person receiving the full SS benefit amount would have also paid in over 40,000.00 into Medicare Part A.  I started working at the age of 15, so by the time I reach 67 (the retirement age for full benefits for me), I will have paid in much more than these amounts.  Benefit amounts to those who have paid into the programs for 40-50 years do not need to be reduced, nor should the retirement age to receive them be increased.  Medicare and Social Security, for those who have paid into it, are not entitlement programs like Medicaid is.  There is a lot of mismanagment, and waste in these programs though.  

I agree but imo cuts is not the way to fix it.

MTM
by MTM on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It depends....
Those programs do need cuts and they need to be restructured...

I agree with restrucing but i can not support cuts to programs we paid in to. Changes ot wasteful  loopholes yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)