Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oblivious... Please help!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi ladies....

I want to be more invovled and informed for this upcoming election. I was able to vote in the '08 election, but I simply went with the party candidate even though I did not really think he would be good in office. I did not know where or how to find information regarding the candidates platforms or who was running before primaries and such.

I need help so I can be better informed this time around. Where and how can I find out who is running right now, their platforms, and other pertinent information about the candidates?

Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I'm going to stalk the answers to this post. I am trying to become more informed as well.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I can't tell you exactly where to get information, but I can make some suggestions on how to decide what to believe.  There is so much biased information out there, it can be hard to know what is the truth and what is spin.

1.  If you can't find 'official docs' (i.e. the actual bills or executive orders) when researching a candidates history on certain issues, make sure to read several articles.  Some should be conservative and some should be liberal, otherwise you are just hearing one side of the story.

2. Watch the debates.  Don't rely on the snippets and soundbites you see on tv and hear on radio.  That's not a fair representation of where the candidates stand.  If you can't watch the debates when they are on tv, you can probably watch the videos online.

3.  Research stuff you hear.  If someone says something negative about one of the candidates, go check out the details yourself.  If there is an actual bill to read, read it.  I find that to be the best way to get the truth.  People will lie and play on emotions to try and get you to vote a certain way.  And remember, a half truth is still a lie.

On a personal note, I find this entire election process dirty and depressing, but it's necessary to try and find the truth in all the rhetoric.  I commend you for taking an interest.  It's so important!

paganbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Same here,lol.

Quoting PEEK05:

I'm going to stalk the answers to this post. I am trying to become more informed as well.

paganbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Good advice!

Quoting imagirlgeek:

I can't tell you exactly where to get information, but I can make some suggestions on how to decide what to believe.  There is so much biased information out there, it can be hard to know what is the truth and what is spin.

1.  If you can't find 'official docs' (i.e. the actual bills or executive orders) when researching a candidates history on certain issues, make sure to read several articles.  Some should be conservative and some should be liberal, otherwise you are just hearing one side of the story.

2. Watch the debates.  Don't rely on the snippets and soundbites you see on tv and hear on radio.  That's not a fair representation of where the candidates stand.  If you can't watch the debates when they are on tv, you can probably watch the videos online.

3.  Research stuff you hear.  If someone says something negative about one of the candidates, go check out the details yourself.  If there is an actual bill to read, read it.  I find that to be the best way to get the truth.  People will lie and play on emotions to try and get you to vote a certain way.  And remember, a half truth is still a lie.

On a personal note, I find this entire election process dirty and depressing, but it's necessary to try and find the truth in all the rhetoric.  I commend you for taking an interest.  It's so important!

rosiemendo
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:11 PM
I agree with imagirlgeek. I missed the Republican debate last night so I searched on various networks to see what I missed. Most of the focus is on Perry's goof-up. However, I searched for Presidential Candidates for 2012 and it gave me each party's candidate(s), a brief description of each, their background, age, status on issues, all kinds of interesting things. I am a registered Democrat, but I do find some of the Republican candidates make some good points in discussing the issues at hand. I voted for Obama, more or less, by default. This time around I want to make a more educated choice, not necessarily on party lines. Jobs and Healthcare are my priorities right now. My husband has been unemployed for well over a year and I'm on SSI and Retirement Disability.
TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Watch the debates!  You hear it straight out of their mouths where they stand on any given topic.

I agree with above about research, but be careful to to to find unbiased sites. I know it's almost impossible to do, but I'm sure it can be done.

I don't have a lot of time to research but I do follow articles here on CM regarding politics and also watch the debates.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Best advice is to just Read Read Read. Research the candidates, Watch the debates, and Read. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)