Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think Michele Bachmann talked about the Penn State situations appropriately?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM
  • 1 Replies

I think everyone can agree that the entire situation at Penn State is a how-not-to guide for how to handle child abuse of any sort.  Did Michelle Bachman express her thoughts on the matter appropriate on this weekend's Meet the Press show? 

Michele Bachmann's Sandusky Comments Show She Can't Run a Country

michele bachmannWhen Michele Bachmann was on Meet the Press yesterday, she had some thoughts she wanted to share on Jerry Sandusky and the child sex scandal he and Penn State are currently involved with. She first mentioned that if, God forbid, something like this had happened to one of her children, she would want to find Sandusky and "beat him to a pulp." And for the first time, I'll admit, I actually agreed with Bachmann. If anything so horrific ever happened to anyone I love, violence would definitely be the first thing that came to mind. (I'm not running for president, though.)

Her second comment revealed how she feels that this case should remain strictly on a state level. She doesn't think Washington should get involved because "Congress has a lot of other things to pay attention to."

And this is where the old Bachmann I know and love made an appearance. Clearly, the woman had no idea what she's talking about.

Before I get into why the sentiment of Congress having better things to do with their time is ridiculous, I just want to touch upon the language Bachmann chose to use: "Beat him to a pulp" and "Congress has a lot of other things to pay attention to." The first statement, while I can definitely relate to it, is, well, kind of childish (kind of, dare I say, Sarah Palin-esque). Was there not a more eloquent way to express her rightful rage and shock at Sandusky than merely using words that she thought would rile people up? And as for her second statement, well, let's just call a spade a spade and say that Bachmann clearly doesn't know exactly what Congress is up to if she's speaking in such vagaries (and since her absentee rate at work is terrible).

It would have been nice if instead of just bashing the man everyone in the nation is bashing, Bachmann offered some solutions, some things she would do -- as president -- to deter such an awful thing from happening again. For instance, she could have talked about how the government needs to stop cutting the funding for underprivileged kids, and how they need to pay closer attention to the schools and after-school activities, so kids don't wind up in shady programs with people like Jerry Sandusky.

This is, coincidentally, sort of how Obama handled the situation when talking about it. At a news conference yesterday, the President referred to the Sandusky case as "heartbreaking," then talked about how college sports are fun and can be important, but they shouldn't get in the way of protecting vulnerable youngsters.

See? Appropriate language and thoughts on how to prevent such a situation. It can be done.

Do you think Michele Bachmann talked about the situations appropriately?

by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Yes, I do.  The liberal stir bloggers can describe what they would do in the same situation with "eloquence" but I would rather hear something real, from the gut.  And yes, Congress has other things to pay attention to.  Not that this isn't serious, but it has NOTHING to do with Congress. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN