Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

This is sad [kind of OT]

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

I know this has nothing to do with the elections but it does have to do with the military and I find this so sad. Do you have any thoughts about this?

Law Professor Quits Job After Colleague Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'

Published November 22, 2011

| FoxNews.com

A law professor who is serving overseas in Afghanistan has quit his job at a Massachusetts university after a colleague sent out a controversial e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops.

U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge cut ties with Suffolk University in Boston in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's defamatory e-mail regarding troops fighting overseas, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

Avery criticized a school-wide drive to collect supplies for soldiers overseas, writing in an email to colleagues: "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

Avery, who specializes in constitutional law, also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

In response to Avery's email, Roughsedge submitted his letter of resignation on Monday, telling WTXF in a telephone interview that the e-mail is "hate speech."

"It’s basically like a 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum," he told the station. "That is not how we teach our students to rationally look at the issues…We want rational adult discourse and that is not something I would tolerate in my class and it is not something the school should tolerate from one of its professors."

Roughsedge was a member of the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University for eight years and taught a popular course on terrorism and the law. He left for Afghanistan in Dec. 2010 and is expected to return home to New Hampshire next month. 

The university has since been inundated with complaints from students and alumni, claiming Avery's view is not representative of the school community.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement last week saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

But, Brown said, "As a diverse community, no one opinion or perspective is representative of the views of the whole community."

The school also said it has a proud history of supporting servicemen and women and that the care package drive is receiving a lot of support.

Click for more on this story from MyFoxBoston.com 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/22/law-professor-quits-job-after-colleague-calls-care-packages-for-us-troops/#ixzz1egO6JnTy

by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuinnMae
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

After reading the article it seems like this has the feel of 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.  I am sure there are plenty of other educational institutions that would love to have Mr.  Roughsedge on their faculty.  Sure does make Mr. Avery look like a heel though.  LOL.  Well, at least IMO.  

grlygrlz2
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this
: "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

IMO~ this is one example of ignorance compliments of a liberal progressive. Too many liberal progressives have nudged their way into the US educational system with their bias spew. The problem? Too many, imo, believe their opinion to be fact. Roughsedge and others like him who have to endure such ignorance, IMO need to speak out and highlight the stupidity that flows from such asshat academic tongues.

~GrlyGrlz~

Sekirei
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

^^No need to be insulting.. smh

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM
4 moms liked this

What's really sad is that our men and women fight and sacrafice their lives for this so-called professor to speak freely in all his ignorance.

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

It's about time that someone stand up to these progressive liberals and speak out against them!  As long as people accept and/or tolerate this kind of crap, it will keep on.  It needs to stop!  The prof has every right to feel the way he does, but since he has the position that he does, he has a responsibility to keep his opinions to himself UNLESS and UNTIL he is asked for them specifically.

SisterPeach
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

What's really sad is that our men and women fight and sacrafice their lives for this so-called professor to speak freely in all his ignorance.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Agree

joey125
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not call him a progressive liberal, I would call him an idiot.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Nomatter his political stance, showing support by sending care packages is FAR from "shameful"...

The professor needs a lesson is human kindness...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Nomatter his political stance, showing support by sending care packages is FAR from "shameful"...

The professor needs a lesson is human kindness...

Amen to that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN