Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who will the conservative Christians back?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:19 AM
  • 194 Replies

If, as seems likely, Mitt Romney gets the Republican nomination, who will the conservative Christians back in the presidential election between Romney and Obama?

Obama's denomination is the United Church of Christ, while Romney is a Mormon...

The United Church of Christ (UCC) is a mainline Protestant  Christian denomination primarily in the Reformed tradition but also historically influenced by Lutheranism.  The Evangelical and Reformed Church  and the Congregational Christian Churches united in 1957 to form the UCC. These two denominations, which were themselves the result of earlier unions, had their roots in Congregational, Evangelical, and Reformed denominations. The UCC's 5,287 congregations claim 1,080,199 members, primarily in the United States.

The UCC maintains full communion with other mainline Protestant denominations, while many congregations choose to practice open communion. The denomination places high emphasis on participation in worldwide interfaith and ecumenical efforts. The national settings of the UCC have historically favored liberal views on social issues, such as civil rights, gay rights, women's rights and abortion rights.

versus

Mormonism is the religion  practiced by Mormons, and is the predominant religious tradition of the Latter Day Saint movement. This movement was founded by Joseph Smith, Jr. beginning in the 1820s as a form of Christian primitivism. During the 1830s and 1840s, Mormonism gradually distinguished itself from traditional Protestantism. Mormonism today represents the new, non-Protestant faith taught by Smith in the 1840s. After Smith's death, most Mormons followed Brigham Young to the Rocky Mountains as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Other branches of Mormonism include Mormon fundamentalism, which seeks to maintain practices and doctrines such as polygamy  that were discontinued by the LDS Church, and various other small independent denominations.

The term Mormon is derived from the Book of Mormon, one of the faith's religious texts. Based on the name of that book, early followers of founder Joseph Smith, Jr. were called Mormons, and their faith was called Mormonism. The term was initially considered pejorative, but is no longer considered so by Mormons (although other terms such as Latter-day Saint, or LDS, are generally preferred).

Mormonism is a form of Christian primitivism that shares a common set of beliefs with the rest of the Latter Day Saint movement, including use of, and belief in, the Bible, as well as other religious texts including the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. It differs from other Latter Day Saint movement traditions (such as the Community of Christ) in that it also accepts the Pearl of Great Price as part of its scriptural canon, and has a history of teaching eternal marriage, eternal progression, and plural marriage (although the LDS Church had abandoned the practice by the early 20th century).

It seems one is mainstream Christian (but liberal), while the other is very non-mainstream (but conservative).

Which do you think is going to be more important to conservative Christians?  Their religious doctrine or their conservatism?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Their conservatism. It's a no-brainer. They hate liberalism more than they love God.

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

<-----------

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

So you're backing a snowman?

Quoting imamomzilla:

<-----------

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!

Newt wouldn't be my 1st pick, but I'd vote for ABO. (anyone but Obama). It's my siggy. :-)

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting imamomzilla:

<-----------

Abaco
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd vote for a snowman before BO : )

Quoting imamomzilla:

LOL!

Newt wouldn't be my 1st pick, but I'd vote for ABO. (anyone but Obama). It's my siggy. :-)

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting imamomzilla:

<-----------

grlygrlz2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
6 moms liked this

I would imagine they will support whichever candidate EACH individual wants to vote for.  It's not like ALL Christian Conservatives are only going to vote one way....   I kjnow who I am NOT voting for....  Barry has proven he can't lead.

~GrlyGrlz~

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a proud Christian Conservative and I support Rick Santorum

Momniscient
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Their conservatism. It's a no-brainer. They hate liberalism more than they love God.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this

God will always be first in my life so this comment is ignorant and untrue

Quoting Momniscient:

This.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Momniscient
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oh the glee. So, Santorum isn't getting the nod. He's out.

Which scary nom will be getting your vote? Obama with his evangelical roots or Romney the Mormon?

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

God will always be first in my life so this comment is ignorant and untrue

Quoting Momniscient:

This.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)