Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Real Issues

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

This is a spin off from another thread.  I'm wondering if the issues people think are important vary in any systematic way with party or how religious you are.   So, for everyone, three questions:

1.  Where do you fall on the political compass?

a) conservative on financial issues, liberal on social issues
  b) conservative on financial issues, conservative on social issues
  c) liberal on financial issues, liberal on social issues
  d) liberal on financial issues, conservative on social issues

2.  Out of the 52 weeks in a year, during how many weeks do you spend at least 1 continuous hour dedicated primarily to worship, meditation or religious study (eg reading your Bible or attending a church service, including travelling there and back) ?

3.  In what order (from most important to least important) do you place the following issues facing America during the next 4 years:

• a) the health of the political process (the constitution, corruption, inefficiency, bi-partisanship; democracy and the electoral process; campaign funding; interference from the media, judiciary or wealthy individuals and organisations)
  • b) investment in future competitiveness compared to other nations (Education, Science, Jobs, Training, Technology, Infrastructure; also values, religion and moral decay; over population, abortion and contraception)
  • c) liberty & discrimination (freedom to meet and talk with dissenting voices without fear of surveillance or consequence; freedom to read what you like, write what you like, wear what you like, eat what you like, speak how you like, marry who you like, do what you like in your own bedroom; freedom not to be discriminated against on the basis of membership of a group that you have no choice over belonging to)
  • d) sustainability (energy and the environment, biodiversity, preserving wilderness areas of natural beauty or scientific importance, products designed to wear out faster than necessary to increase repeat sales)
  • e) security (gun ownership, crime, police, prisons, justice system, military, foreign policy, spies, torture, assassination, the United Nations)
  • f) equality, poverty and motivation (health care, social security, how re-distributive the tax system is, incentives for people to work hard, gross national happiness versus gross national product)
  • g) the other bits of the economy (financial regulation, central banking, interest rates, inflation, debt, monetary policy, trade: globalisation versus protectionism, corporate personhood, the stock market, hedge funds, currency manipilation, the gold standard
  • h) Sport, culture, the arts, anything else you can think of that governments spend money upon

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM

What are your views of this, too?

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

1. B

2. 52 weeks

3. E.,   F.,   D.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

A-amended to slightly liberal

O

A

B

E

G

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Quoting jcribb16:

My personal answers to my own three questions are irrelevant, since I'm not American.  However, if you're interested, they are:

1. Political Compass

About 75% conservative on financial issues
About 90% liberal on social issues

2. Religiosity

0 weeks out of 52 weeks

3. Order of importance of issues, for me

MOST IMPORTANT
A democracy
G economy
B investment, C liberty & F poverty
D sustainability  & E security
H other
LEAST IMPORTANT

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I didn't realize you aren't American, and thank you for your views on it! :)

1. B
2. 52
3. *Most
   A, G
   C, E
   B, F
   D
   H
   Least

*Thought-provoking answers.  Some of mine could still vary in choice.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcribb16:

My personal answers to my own three questions are irrelevant, since I'm not American.  However, if you're interested, they are:

1. Political Compass

About 75% conservative on financial issues
About 90% liberal on social issues

2. Religiosity

0 weeks out of 52 weeks

3. Order of importance of issues, for me

MOST IMPORTANT
A democracy
G economy
B investment, C liberty & F poverty
D sustainability  & E security
H other
LEAST IMPORTANT

mehamil1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

1. I'm as liberal as they get. 

2. I'm just spiritual. I do not belong to any group that does anything. 

3. I think D is the most important there. We need to clean up our act fast if we want this planet to not shake us off like a fly. F is also really important to me. The others are important but these two are the most important. 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

1.  A. more conservative financially, but liberal on social issues.

2. I go to church most Sundays, and I teach a kid's class. I also attend an adult Bible study on Wed. for 2 hours, and then I do the homework during the week, another 2 hrs. I like to read a lot, sometimes religious books.  

3.a, d, b, g, f, c, h

Number 3 is difficult. For one, if a, the political process was more healthy, then a lot of the other things would be able to be taken care of. If b is well taken care of, particularly education, then d is most likely taken care of. While c is important, I feel that most of our freedoms are fairly secure, though we need to be careful not to take them for granted. I do feel that the lack of homosexuals having equal rights as far as marriage goes is a problem, and I am concerned about the law just passed that allows Americans citizens suspected of terrorism to be held without any formal charges, but I still feel overall that we have a lot of freedoms. 

cueballsmom
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
C- 52 weeks, at least one hour daily,f,b,a,c,d,e,g,h.

My studies and my. Prayers are at least an hour, sometimes much more, daily. But I am Buddhist, so you're question apply slightly differently to me, IMO.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)