Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Huntsman quits - thoughts?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 58 Replies
January 15, 2012, 9:18 PM
Huntsman Says He’s Quitting G.O.P. Race
By JEFF ZELENY
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Jon M. Huntsman Jr. informed his advisers on Sunday that he intends to drop out of the Republican presidential race, ending his candidacy a week before he had hoped to revive his campaign in the South Carolina primary.

Mr. Huntsman, who had struggled to live up to the soaring expectations of his candidacy, made plans to make an announcement as early as Monday. He had been set to participate in an evening debate in Myrtle Beach.

A third-place finish in the New Hampshire primary last week failed to jump start his flagging candidacy, aides said, and his campaign limped into South Carolina with little money. Mr. Huntsman has spent days pondering his future in the race, but aides said that he concluded he was unlikely to topple Mitt Romney or match the momentum of his Republican rivals in the conservative Southern primary.

Mr. Huntsman will endorse Mr. Romney’s bid for the Republican nomination this week, according to several people who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The decision from Mr. Huntsman came on the same day that he received the endorsement from The State, the newspaper in the capital of Columbia. He had campaigned in South Carolina over the weekend, not giving any indication that the end was near.

Mr. Huntsman first signaled his presidential ambitions here in South Carolina in May, days after returning from Beijing, where he had been the United States ambassador to China. He surrounded himself with a veteran roster of advisers who positioned Mr. Huntsman as a new brand of Republican.

He made the decision not to compete in the Iowa caucuses to focus on the New Hampshire primary. For months, he struggled to gain attention, and the race largely moved along without him.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/huntsman-says-hes-quitting-g-o-p-race/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe 2016? He is not conservative enough and is too intelligent to be nominated by the Republicans this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM
I guess I liked him the best from the Republicans because he wasn't as conservative. I would like to see him run in 2016, especially since Obama would be out of office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM
3 moms liked this
The current gop is way radical and dumbed down for huntsman he would be a great independent candidate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is sad. Huntsman was the only true Republican in this race. ( well...Romney comes close) The others are right wing conservatives, not the real thing.

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

No loss. Not conservative enough.

Abaco
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this

; )

http://www.sonarbangladesh.com/blog/uploads/rumi10201109151316126761_Exactly.png

Quoting imamomzilla:

No loss. Not conservative enough.

mehamil1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

So the one intelligent one drops out and we're left with crazy religious idiot windbags. 

Way to just hand Obama another 4 years. Such stupidity. 

Either way, I'm voting for Roseanne Barr. She's running for president of the US and PM of Israel. She's a hoot, check her out. My state allows for write in's and I'm gonna write her in. 

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Yea, that makes perfect sense.....

going crazy

Quoting mehamil1:

So the one intelligent one drops out and we're left with crazy religious idiot windbags. 

Either way, I'm voting for Roseanne Barr. She's running for president of the US and PM of Israel. She's a hoot, check her out. My state allows for write in's and I'm gonna write her in. 

RissyLee
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol!
I agree, though... I feel like they just handed 2012 to Obama. I wasn't set on voting for Obama, but now I don't see any other likely candidate i would be interested in voting for. Maybe Ron Paul, but I doubt he'll get any backing.

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Ron Paul wants to get all up in my uterus. I'm not cool with that. I don't really want anyone up there besides my partner and my doctor. I agree with him on getting the military out of every crack in this world though. 

And yes, they are handing Obama four more years. Almost like this is a mummers farce, a show, one big crazy thing. 

If they have any chance (which they don't) they should lay off reproductive rights (abortion will never be illegal and what is with this whole thing with birth control pills???), leave the gay people alone (the coming generation of 94 million millennials are pretty much cool with gay people, this is a lost cause), and most of all they have to focus on jobs and the economy. Everything else is just drivel and not at all that important. 

Another thing I find to be weird is this obsession with religion. I was raised Catholic but my family isn't really religious. Aside from some Muslim neighbors I really don't know anyone who's really religious. So this bible beating insanity is just mind numbing (which is probably the point). I live in Chicago. We're liberal here and we're not all that religious. We just elected a reformed Jew as mayor. Ugh. I just want this to be over! 

And I really feel bad for the people of South Carolina. If I was there I couldn't go anywhere near a TV or a phone or radio. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)