Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mitt Romney Opens his Wallet for Unemployed S.C. Woman

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 23 Replies

As a candidate who has raised tens of millions of dollars during his presidential campaign, Mitt Romney did something unusual Saturday while shaking hands after an event in Sumter, South Carolina. He opened his wallet and handed unemployed Ruth Williams some cash. Williams would not say how much money Romney gave her but campaign aides say it was between $50 - 60.

The fifty-five year old Columbia, S.C. resident has been unemployed since last October and says she saw Romney's bus on I-26 January 11 and followed it to the airport because the "Lord told me to." Romney was not on the bus and en route to the Palmetto state from his recent victory in Tuesday's New Hampshire primary but his aides told her to go to their Columbia headquarters and a rally later that night.

It was at the rally that Williams says she met Governor Romney. "He was kind to me. He stopped doing everything," Williams told reporters in Sumter. Since then Williams says she's been at the Columbia campaign offices "cleaning and doing other things" to help out as well as following Romney around the state.  Williams told reporters she has not been paid for her time spent at campaign headquarters and Romney aides have not responded to questions by Fox News as to whether or not Williams has received payment.

Williams says Romney has also introduced her to South Carolina Republican Governor Nikki Haley and that the state's Treasurer, Curtis Loftis, who is also the chairman of Romney's South Carolina campaign, even paid her electric bill. Romney campaign aides confirm this transaction.

Williams says she is a registered Republican and was "caught between Romney and Perry," but "God didn't tell me to go to nobody else, he told me to pray for Romney."

(foxnews)

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joey125
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM

He's as rich as Rockefeller   lol

RissyLee
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Perhaps better grammar will lead to more job opportunities for her... Spending so much time helping with his campaign probably doesn't leave much time for work, either.
That was kind of him, though. I hope it helped her out. I am curious as to if he would've done this if nobody was watching, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abaco
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That was nice : )

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Oh my gosh...there's more to her story. God bless her!

Ms Williams, 55, has been out of work since October and her son has had three brain aneurysms, each of which plunges their family into further debt.

(dailymail)

Quoting RissyLee:

Perhaps better grammar will lead to more job opportunities for her... Spending so much time helping with his campaign probably doesn't leave much time for work, either.
That was kind of him, though. I hope it helped her out. I am curious as to if he would've done this if nobody was watching, though.

RissyLee
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM
I feel for her struggles and her son's poor health, but if she has time to help with the campaign then she has time for work. I hope she finds a job quickly.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Ms Williams, 55, has been out of work since October and her son has had three brain aneurysms, each of which plunges their family into further debt.

(dailymail)

Quoting RissyLee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

(dailymail)

What a neat story.  Thanks for sharing it.  I'm pretty sure it's not an isolated incident.  He was very sweet to my kids when we met him.  He even took the time to do a little wave to my daughter who was too shy to shake his hands like my sons did.  He also took the time to sign my son's handmade poster.

Even the unwed pregnant gal story that was trying to make Romney look like this evil person (because one of the suggestions was adoption) had to admit that he had found her a couple jobs, trying to help her out.

itsmesteph11
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Personaly, all of this gives me the willies.  Sure it is kind.  I don't have a problem with him helping out anyone he wants to when he is a private citizen but as a Gov. or now that he is campaining I don't like it. Why on earth would you do that?  Can you just see every Tom, dick and Harry coming to him crying about how their life sucks?  What's he going to do the next time it happens? All I can think about is the crazies gushing about Obama or the ones pleading for help at his town hall meetings. 

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Thanks for sharing your personal story too. :-)

I'm really warming up to this guy.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting imamomzilla:

(dailymail)

What a neat story.  Thanks for sharing it.  I'm pretty sure it's not an isolated incident.  He was very sweet to my kids when we met him.  He even took the time to do a little wave to my daughter who was too shy to shake his hands like my sons did.  He also took the time to sign my son's handmade poster.

Even the unwed pregnant gal story that was trying to make Romney look like this evil person (because one of the suggestions was adoption) had to admit that he had found her a couple jobs, trying to help her out.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure she does have time for work, but if her town is like ours, there is no one hiring.  We already have people with four year college degrees working at Burger King and a teacher with a master's degree working at Dollar General.  It's sad.

Quoting RissyLee:

I feel for her struggles and her son's poor health, but if she has time to help with the campaign then she has time for work. I hope she finds a job quickly.

Quoting imamomzilla:

(dailymail)

Quoting RissyLee:

RissyLee
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM
That is sad. Sometimes I forget that jobs are not as readily available everywhere, since they're very available where I live. I guess if I were her I just would've put that time into job searching rather than helping with a campaign for free. I do have a friend who is paid for his work with local campaigns, so maybe she could try and find something to do with the campaign she would be paid for.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm sure she does have time for work, but if her town is like ours, there is no one hiring.  We already have people with four year college degrees working at Burger King and a teacher with a master's degree working at Dollar General.  It's sad.

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting imamomzilla:

(dailymail)

Quoting RissyLee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)