Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republican vs. Democrat...What Is The Makeup of The Group?

Poll

Question: I am a...

Options:

Conservative Republican

Moderate Republican

Liberal Democrat

Moderate Democrat

Other -- I'll explain in the comments

I think they're all crazy and I don't want to be associated with any of them

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 153

View Results

I always think it is interesting to see what the actual makeup of a group is vs. the perceived makeup.  So, if you wouldn't mind telling us, how do you identify?

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Social moderate...don't impose your values on me and don't put me down for my values.  Fiscal conservative.  

ThatTXMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yeah, I think they are all crazy.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I put myself as a conservative Democrat, but I vote for the most capable person, or try to anyway. I am actually registered Republican though, and up to about 10yrs ago, I would have fit better in the Republican party. The Repub party moved though, and I could not in good conscience move with them.

Abaco
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Conservative Republican

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I am a liberal Democrat.Use to vote split ticket every so often if there was a republican who had views close to mine but not anymore.Now I will vote straight ticket.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Quoting rccmom:

I put myself as a conservative Democrat, but I vote for the most capable person, or try to anyway. I am actually registered Republican though, and up to about 10yrs ago, I would have fit better in the Republican party. The Repub party moved though, and I could not in good conscience move with them.

Can you elaborate a little on being a conservative Democrat?  I almost put that as an option (along with liberal Republican), but I couldn't picture what a conservative Democrat might believe.  I'm hoping you can enlighten me a little.  :-)

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting rccmom:

Can you elaborate a little on being a conservative Democrat?  I almost put that as an option (along with liberal Republican), but I couldn't picture what a conservative Democrat might believe.  I'm hoping you can enlighten me a little.  :-)

I am not comfortable with the amount of money being spent, that is where my conservative streak comes in. I do think that while govt is necessary, we could do with a smaller govt. I also believe in the death penalty, which puts me on the side of being a conservative.

However, I end up being more in the Democratic realm when it comes to what govt should be doing, and many social issues. I believe that it is important that govt effectively regulate businesses and such. We cannot destroy our environment so we can make a quick dollar. We need regulation on what is put into our air, including CO2. This is important for public health. If we drill for oil, then we need to do so in a safe manner. If it is a sensitive area, then maybe we should not drill. The best solution overall is to develop alternative safer energy solutions. Oil, and even natural gas, will only last so long. We also need the social programs we have in place. The Republicans have seem to become the party of I've got mine, who cares about anyone else?

I also believe that homosexuals should have the same right to get married as straights, and that should be a Replican view, but it isn't, it seems to be more Democrats in office hold that view. I also believe that woman's body is HER body, and she has the right to birth control, and a reasonable right to abortion. Again, keeping govt out of our health care decisions is supposed to be a Republican ideal, but it is not in this case.

I think in education that the states should have more say. I think the top heavy from the federal govt down approach has not been the best way to educate children. However, I also do not believe in just cutting the education budget either.

I usually describe myself as a liberal conservative, or a conservative liberal, but I've noticed that the Democratic candidates lately tend to have the policies that I agree with the most.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

A conservative democrat isn't that someone who believes in financial conservatism, support of troops that kind of thing but leans democratic on social issues?

new_mom808
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I voted conservative republican. Though I often find myself either too conservative, or not conservative enough (depending on your views) for the mainstream CR's.

I hold a conservative view of government first, social issues and party affiliation come second.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

A conservative democrat isn't that someone who believes in financial conservatism, support of troops that kind of thing but leans democratic on social issues?

That sounds about right. However, both liberal and conservatives tend to support our troops. I think it is very supportive to bring them back home to their families.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)