Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Republican vs. Democrat...What Is The Makeup of The Group?

Poll

Question: I am a...

Options:

Conservative Republican

Moderate Republican

Liberal Democrat

Moderate Democrat

Other -- I'll explain in the comments

I think they're all crazy and I don't want to be associated with any of them

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 153

View Results

I always think it is interesting to see what the actual makeup of a group is vs. the perceived makeup.  So, if you wouldn't mind telling us, how do you identify?

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Replies (111-120):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Hasn't there been 4 post asking the same question LOL

brituchenite
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I have a real dilemma when it comes to political affiliation.  When I was young I was a stanch conservative growing up in England, however, in England, civil rights were never part of the party platform, it was more about how the money was spent.  

I moved to America 26 years ago and married an American (I am a citizen).  I have continued to hold the conserative, one would say libertarian/republican views regarding fiscal issues, but I have found that the social issues overcome the fiscal for me.  I am staunchly:

Pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro equality, anti search and seizure (even though I know in this climate it is necessary), supportive of children's rights, pro death sentence (even though I know deep down there are many reasons not to legalize it) legalizing illegal children who did  not ask to come here, to name just a few.

Every time the republican party goes on about pro life, it turns me towards the democrats.  I voted for Obama both times and especially the second time because Mit Romney scared the living daylights out of me.   I do not want the freedoms I am luckily enough to have to be gone for my daughters.  I believe we will go back to the dark ages of back alley abortions if Roe v. Wade is struck down and an attitude of the rich being fine and the poor not.

As I mentioned above, I voted twice for Margaret Thatcher in England, a conservative republican, but social issues were never at odds in England.

So I am not sure what I am, probably more libertarian (which is what I voted for during the Bush/Clinton/Bush years).

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

There are also those you mention who lean right. There has always been this group in the R party. This group of people sort of cross over into both Rs and Ds.

I think it is what do they think is the most urgent at the time.

For that reason, a lot of fiscal conservatives/social liberals/libertarians who felt that the fiscal situation was the most urgent, voted Republican in this election.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

A conservative democrat isn't that someone who believes in financial conservatism, support of troops that kind of thing but leans democratic on social issues?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don't call myself a Republican or any party - I am a libertarian-leaning conservative.

If there were a conservative Democrat who leaned my way fiscally, I would consider voting for them. But they would have to vote CONSERVATIVE, not Democrat per se.

There are also liberal Republicans.

And libertarians.

cammibear
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I'm a Conservative Constitutionalist. Not a Republican, not quite a Libertarian.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I voted moderate democrat. I'm sure that not all will agree, those who know me in other groups, but yeah, I think that I'm pretty moderate.

..MoonShine..
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I am a registered Dem, though my views fall more in line with Green. 

denise3680
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I have voted republican and democrat.  I think both parties have gone extreme to either side and the more inthe middle people, which I consider myself, have gotten lost in the sauce.  I am a liberal democrat on social issues and a conservative on fiscal issues.  I believe in personal responsibility, but do not impose your moral code on me or anyone else.  Kinda the mind yours and I will mind mine:/

susan115
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Conservative

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Conervative Republican

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)