Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

With the primary/caucus elections that have taken place so far, do you believe they are legitimate or do you believe there is any voter fraud?  I'm from Iowa and have voted in every election possible, and I have to admit, it's a little embarrassing what happened at this years caucus.  There were a lot of things that are just pretty hard to explain~one or two things yes, but as many as we had.....I don't know.  I haven't totally made up my mind yet, but am beginning to wonder.

by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Replies (21-28):
new_mom808
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Wow, that's incredible.

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Nomatter what there's always a risk of fraud...
Human Error

If only human error were all we had to concern ourselves with when it comes to voter fraud...

Anyone familiar with Bev Harris and her organization Black Box Voting?  She has been knee deep in the fight against voter fraud for years ...  http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

Watch Bev in action via the documentary "Hacking Democracy"  Here's Part 1 of 9.

Jan

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Chilling.

Quoting new_mom808:

Wow, that's incredible.

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Human Error

If only human error were all we had to concern ourselves with when it comes to voter fraud...

Anyone familiar with Bev Harris and her organization Black Box Voting?  She has been knee deep in the fight against voter fraud for years ...  http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

Watch Bev in action via the documentary "Hacking Democracy"  Here's Part 1 of 9.

Jan

jejstover
by Jan on Feb. 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Quoting Jambo4: 
Quoting jejstover:
Quoting Jambo4:

Yes.. I think there is voter fraud in every election no matter how big or small.  There needs to be uniform processes throughout the state, Straw poll/caucus states need to be done away with.  There is too great of chance for fraud.  ID NEEDS to be taken. 

In this day and age, there is no excuse for not taking advantage of modern technology.

But modern technology has been shown to fail us as well  -- the technology has produced faulty systems prone to error and/or easy manipulation. All sorts of these technological problems are identified in the "Hacking Democracy" documentary as well as human error (suspect and unintentional).

Jan

Yes, noted.  But I was mostly referring to caucus states, raise your hand and vote or write on this little slip of scratch paper and then lets hope they can call it in properly.  States that do caucuses are CHEAP and open themselves up to abuse of the system.  It's disgusting.

I think we can trust a group of individuals more than we can the voting machines (knowing what we do about their existing flaws and vulnerabilities) IF the group of individuals counting the votes -- and overseeing the counting of the votes -- consist of representatives from each candidates' campaign to provide a checks and balance situation.

An example of a human checks and balance situation that I am personally am aware (though not in the caucuses that you are speaking of) came during a general election. A Libertarian friend of mine was running for governor as a write-in candidate. Since write-in votes can sometime produce a misspelled candidate's name and/or sloppy handwriting, the Illinois law governing the counting of write-in votes states that the voter's intent is what is to determine the countability of the vote ... in other words, a slightly misspelled candidate's name, should not void the vote.

However, Election Judges (on site after the polls close) have the final say as to whether or not a write-in vote should be counted before handing over the vote totals of that particular polling place.  Another friend of mine was serving as an Election Judge during the same general election and told me after the polls closed that a couple of Election Judges at the polling place where he was working wanted to NOT count a good portion of the write-in votes saying they were misspelled or not legible when, according to my Election Judge friend, the voters' intent on these ballots were clearly discernible.

He reminded them of their duty to honestly assess the voters' intent -- and as such, every write-in vote cast at that polling place was counted.  If every candidate had a representative at each polling place present at the time the votes were counted, this type of human checks and balances could be a vital front line defense against voter fraud.

Jan

jejstover
by Jan on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Chilling.

Quoting new_mom808:

Wow, that's incredible.

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Human Error

Jan

Chilling indeed!

jejstover
by Jan on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

More concern ...

kitty4ever
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Do you suppose Charlie Webster will be the 3rd GOP Chairman to resign so far this election season?  Doesn't it seem a little odd that two states have discrepencies (yes I'm being nice today) and both chairmen resign???   The positive to Iowa's GOP resignation is we got an awesome guy to replace him (if he doesn't sell out~which I can't imagine him doing)!!!

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Do they honestly think they'll get away with this???

This, I'm sure, is how the 2000 election was "won". The Democrats cannibalized Dean in 2004. These elections have become who was groomed for the part, not who was actually voted in.

Quoting jejstover:

More concern ...

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I watched this last night and I was not shocked at all.It has happened all along in almost every state.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Do they honestly think they'll get away with this???

This, I'm sure, is how the 2000 election was "won". The Democrats cannibalized Dean in 2004. These elections have become who was groomed for the part, not who was actually voted in.

Quoting jejstover:

More concern ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN