• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

‘My Haters Are My Motivators’

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 129 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ellen Responds To ‘One Million Moms’ Boycott Of JC Penney: --- ‘My Haters Are My Motivators’

Ellen DeGeneres confronted the ‘One Million Moms’ boycott of her partnership with J.C. Penney on her daytime talk show yesterday with trademark humor quipping, “normally I don’t like to pay attention to my haters, but this time I’d like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators.” The anti-gay group, part of the American Family Association, is claiming that the store is undermining “traditional families” by selecting DeGeneres as its spokesperson. 

On the show, DeGeneres read some of the supportive comments her fans left on the the group’s Facebook page and then explained her values: “I usually don’t talk about stuff like this on my show. But I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me. And if you don’t know me very well, if you’re just watching maybe for the the first time or you’re just getting to know me I want to be clear. And here are the values that I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me those are traditional values, that’s what I stand for.” 

More: 
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/02/08/421085/ellen-responds-to-one-million-moms-boycott-of-jc-penney-my-haters-are-my-motivators/

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlo1313
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this

ELLEN FOR PREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Have a million moms really even signed up to protest ellen/JCP?

BTW: has anyone been to JCP since they've dropped their prices?  how's it?  will probably check them out this weekend?

grlygrlz2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't see this as an election 2012 headline. Big deal, some moms are protesting. I like Ellen and I don't like shopping at Penney's. None of which has to do with my votes this year.
Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
7 moms liked this

Just for the record, not everyone on the right is against Ellen, or even gay people in general.

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this

I really really like Ellen.  She's hilarious, and seems like a level, kind person.  I especially like that she can laugh at herself, and appears to just enjoy her life.  I don't understand why people are trying to tear her down.  She's not doing anything to hurt anyone, right?

It's really disturbing to me that we've become a nation of people who can't respect the differences in each other.  No matter how hard anyone tries, we are not all going to be the same, think the same, like the same things.  And why would anyone want that anyway??  How boring.

------------------------

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."  -  General George Patton Jr

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM
5 moms liked this

I really don't think that many people are offended by Ellen or gay people in general.  I think this group is dillusional.  JC Penney is not going to lose customers over this.  If anything, more people will support them for standing by Ellen.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I really don't think that many people are offended by Ellen or gay people in general.  I think this group is dillusional.  JC Penney is not going to lose customers over this.  If anything, more people will support them for standing by Ellen.

It's more along the lines of "there is no such thing as bad advertising" and this has gotten lots of press.

More press = more visibility = more people in stores.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

It's refreshing to see both "sides" agreeing on one thing: Ellen is awesome and this boycott is bullshit.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

People love Ellen not just because she's funny, but because she always comes across as decent and kind hearted.  In her shows, her books, comments made by those that know her...

I'm glad JCP refused to be bullied about their choice in their new spokes person.

jewjewbee
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM
2 moms liked this

considering JCP is doing no better now than it did 32 years ago, I 'd say it has more problems than just a controversial spokesperson.

when nobody is buying your product, anything helps I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)