Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Controversial Artist Depicts Obama Trampling The Constitution

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

Some may already be familiar with the image featured above. For those who aren’t, it is painting titled “The Forgotten Man” which features President Obama trampling on the Constitution while an astonished James Madison pleads with him to stop. To the side, a man sits on a park bench in the throes of depression while 43 presidents look on. The painting, which uses discarded dollar bills and scraps of paper with individual constitutional amendments scrawled onto them.

The Blaze first reported on artist Jon McNaughton’s controversial rendition back in 2010 when the artwork was released. Now, however, McNauughton’s Forgotten Man has resurfaced and is making its rounds across the internet again after appearing on Rachel Maddow’s blog on Thursday.

In a video that accompanied The Forgotten Man’s release, the politically charged McNaughton revealed, “For a long time I didn’t know if I wanted to paint this picture, because I worried it might be too controversial.”

He explained that the man on the park bench “represents every man, woman, and child who is an American“ and who ”hopes to find the American dream of happiness and prosperity.” The artist added, “But now because of unconstitutional acts imposed on the American people by our government we stand on the precipice of disasters.”

(theblaze)

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The pic was so cool you felt the need to make 2 seperate threads about it?

Dubya should be right there next to him grinding his foot in.

Not sure about Raygun, was Iran-Contra Constitutional? I know the drug war he was so fond of isn't.

Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM
5 moms liked this

Geez, I'm really bad at this art stuff, but before you get hit too much for Obama bashing I'll put my two cents in.

I don't see this painting as singling Obama out.  Yes he is in the forefront and it is his foot that is on the constitution, but I see more to it than that.  I see a very few presidents concerned with the man on the bench.  I see a few more concerned with the written form of the constitution, yet ignoring the man whose constitutional rights have been taken away.  And I see the rest of the presidents just looking away, ignoring both the written constitution and the man.  To me this painting speaks towards the little by little degradation of our constitutional rights.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mamawto4:

Geez, I'm really bad at this art stuff, but before you get hit too much for Obama bashing I'll put my two cents in.

I don't see this painting as singling Obama out.  Yes he is in the forefront and it is his foot that is on the constitution, but I see more to it than that.  I see a very few presidents concerned with the man on the bench.  I see a few more concerned with the written form of the constitution, yet ignoring the man whose constitutional rights have been taken away.  And I see the rest of the presidents just looking away, ignoring both the written constitution and the man.  To me this painting speaks towards the little by little degradation of our constitutional rights.

Good points.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

So? 

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I was noticing that as well.  I think it speaks more about how we've gotten to this point all through history and the actions of the more recent presidents are just getting more and more bold. 

Quoting Mamawto4:

T-HoneyLuv
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM
This made me laugh out loud!

Quoting Friday:

The pic was so cool you felt the need to make 2 seperate threads about it?

Dubya should be right there next to him grinding his foot in.

Not sure about Raygun, was Iran-Contra Constitutional? I know the drug war he was so fond of isn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you both, and I think the money and ripped pages of part of the Constitution represent how our money has come down in value, and how some of those presidents tested, or misused, different amendments to the Constitution.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I was noticing that as well.  I think it speaks more about how we've gotten to this point all through history and the actions of the more recent presidents are just getting more and more bold. 

Quoting Mamawto4:

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Jesus and the Constitution~+~

jewjewbee
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I've seen this before. the democrats in the picture are clapping.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM
It looks like presidents in the past looking away and some worried about the average man... Looks like a painting about our history not just Obama...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)