Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House Committee to Women: You're Not Relevant to Discussion on Birth Control

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM
  • 2 Replies

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 15, 2012

House Committee to Women: You're Not Relevant to Discussion on Birth Control

Washington, D.C. - Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, issued a statement regarding the decision by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to refuse to allow a female law-school student to testify about the importance of birth control at a hearing focusing on President Obama's contraceptive-coverage policy.

The hearing will feature 10 witnesses-eight of whom are men; none of them is testifying in support of contraceptive coverage. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) released a letter Wednesday urging the committee's chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), to reconsider his decision to reject the witness, who is a student at Georgetown University Law Center.

"Just when you think the U.S. House of Representatives could not be more ridiculous, here comes a hearing on contraception to which women are not allowed to talk about the importance of birth control," Keenan said. "When it comes to women's health and privacy, the committee would rather listen to eight men than one woman who supports contraception. Something tells me people may view these lawmakers as out of touch, with their constituents and with reality."

Read Rep. Cummings' letter to Rep. Issa.

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

They are making a huge tactical error.  This is a hill MANY women are willing to die on, myself included.  

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

It is sickening that men are the ones deciding what women should be doing for contraception.This really pisses me off! 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

They are making a huge tactical error.  This is a hill MANY women are willing to die on, myself included.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)