Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

SECOND AMENDMENT--YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Posted by   + Show Post

Ron Paul is the most conservative supporter of gun rights believing there should be NO legislation whatsoever restricting gun ownership.

Mitt Romney has voted for gun restriction legislation on several occasions, but has since changed his mind and now advocates for unhampered gun ownership.

Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum fall somewhat in between, believing that a few pieces of legislation are necessary for public safety.

Barack Obama believes in increased gun control.  He stops short of asking for a complete ban but believes citizens should not be allowed to ever carry a gun.

The UN believes in total gun control.  No citizen should ever at any time for any reason own a firearm of any kind.

What is your beliefs about gun control, totally banned, totally allowed without restriction, or somewhere in between?

Also, There is a UN treaty (The UN Small Arms Treaty) before the Senate.  Any treaty must be ratified by 2/3 vote in the senate before becoming law.  So far, this treaty does not have the support needed to become law.  Do you believe it should become law?  Do you believe the US should be under international law that is held above our own Constitution?

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

That's what I was questioning. I wasn't sure if she was talking about a mentally ill person or a regular sane gun owner. I was confused by that statement also. Glad I wasn't the only one:)

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Before I respond, it would be nice if you would elaborate a little on this statement...

"Also owning a gun can make someone without a record a criminal."

You're not suggesting that an otherwise law abiding citizen could pick up a gun and suddenly be transformed into a homicidal maniac are you?

Quoting matreshka:

I am not saying someone who has a serious mental illness with violent tendencies should own a gun, but how can one determine that if they have never been under involuntary commitment in a hospital?  Also owning a gun can make someone without a record a criminal. This is why I think guns should be regulated.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Uh...no. I was just explaining what I thought her point was. It's not my point.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Should we take people's cars away also? They are more likely to kill someone with their car than a gun? I'm sorry but that reasoning isn't very sound. Having and owning a gun doesn't make someone anymore likely to be a criminal than a car owner and driver.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

The gun owner. If someone doesn't have a gun, they can't shoot someone accidentially or deliberately. If someone does have a gun, they can.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If who shoots someone?

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Oh ok, sorry. Thank you Kate for the explanation.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Should we take people's cars away also? They are more likely to kill someone with their car than a gun? I'm sorry but that reasoning isn't very sound. Having and owning a gun doesn't make someone anymore likely to be a criminal than a car owner and driver.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

The gun owner. If someone doesn't have a gun, they can't shoot someone accidentially or deliberately. If someone does have a gun, they can.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If who shoots someone?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

No problemo.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Oh ok, sorry. Thank you Kate for the explanation.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If who shoots someone?

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM
4 moms liked this

I would respectfully disagree. There are many reasons for a person to own an AR15 or other Semi Automatic weapons. A Mini 14 is the same caliber and similar make to an AR15. The Mini 14 is often referred to as a "Ranch Rifle". My father used these types of rifles on our Ranch in Texas to protect himself and the cattle while working on our property. 

First you have to understand that a Semi Automatic is simply a weapon that doesn't need to be cocked or reloaded to fire a round from a magazine. This is very useful when you encounter ferrel hogs, coyote's, snakes or wolves. An injured ferrel hog from a single shot can be very dangerous. Having the ability to get several rounds off quickly to stop one of these can save a person from losing a limb.

I carry a semi automatic pistol. If some 250lb man is intent on bringing me or my children harm, you better believe a semi automatic weapon is needed. Furthermore, having a weapon is only a "false sense of protection" until you need it. I have known people who have regrettably had to use their weapon and I assure you, that sense of protection was not "False"

Quoting matreshka:

There is no reason whatsoever people need ar-15's or any other automatic or semi-automatic gun for personal use.  Personally I do not believe in gun ownership, but I wont step on someone's rights for shotgun for hunting or a small pistol for protection, even though I think its a false sense of protection.

kschlag
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I have no problem with guns for hunting - these are things like shotguns, rifles, etc.  We eat meat, I know where it comes from and how it is killed.

And I suppose I can support the right  to have a gun in your house to protect yourself, but frankly research shows that more people get shot by their own guns!  Guns need to be locked up - and just think of the number of kids etc. that die from "accidental" shootings.  We have guns that are used for hunting but the are NEVER left out of the gun safe.

Does any private citizen need to own an automatic anything - no!  They aren't for hunting unless you are an idiot who isn't into sport in anyway.  They are for killing people and not just one at a time, but a lot.

Should guns be allowed in public places - absolutely not!  The best way to keep people safe is to keep guns out of public places.  If this means metal detectors, I'm all for them.  I realize that people want to protect themselves, but mistakes are all too easy.  And the best prevention is keeping people unarmed in public places.

opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

we need guns for hunting food. I don't think anyone has the right to take away our right to bear arms. I have 2 guns but was raised you never use it to rob a bank or a store. it has its purposes hunting and self protection. If they take away our right to bear arms criminals will still come up with guns and will kill more of us. I feel if a criminal gets shot in the process of  a crime he got what he deserved he shouldn't have been doing the crime to begin with. and its one less idiot we have to support in the penal system

Momniscient
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not a fan of open carry laws or see the need for them. I don't really have a serious issue with personal gun ownership but I think the attitude of 'god given right' to 'bear' arms is specious and a little disconcerting. I've had a lot of people get angry with my viewpoint and claim they won't 'protect' me then and that is a-okay with me. I don't want/need/ask for protection from anyone who has a god given right to bear a weapon. I don't think banning guns is the answer but I do think that weapons need to be thoughtfully and realistically regulated. We seem to be a society of ideological weaponry or inappropriate weaponry and that is concerning.

kschlag
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Although cars can kill, I don't think most people set out to kill someone with a car.  A gun is a weapon - it is designed to kill - I can't think of any other reason that someone ultimately uses a gun - to kill or to threaten to kill.  I certainly don't get in my car with the idea of it being a weapon.

Owning a gun does not make someone a criminal.  But the intent of a gun is very different than the intent of a car.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I have two AK47's and an SKS.  I have had them for yrs and have opened fire yet.

Quoting matreshka:

There is no reason whatsoever people need ar-15's or any other automatic or semi-automatic gun for personal use.  Personally I do not believe in gun ownership, but I wont step on someone's rights for shotgun for hunting or a small pistol for protection, even though I think its a false sense of protection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN