Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

SECOND AMENDMENT--YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Posted by   + Show Post

Ron Paul is the most conservative supporter of gun rights believing there should be NO legislation whatsoever restricting gun ownership.

Mitt Romney has voted for gun restriction legislation on several occasions, but has since changed his mind and now advocates for unhampered gun ownership.

Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum fall somewhat in between, believing that a few pieces of legislation are necessary for public safety.

Barack Obama believes in increased gun control.  He stops short of asking for a complete ban but believes citizens should not be allowed to ever carry a gun.

The UN believes in total gun control.  No citizen should ever at any time for any reason own a firearm of any kind.

What is your beliefs about gun control, totally banned, totally allowed without restriction, or somewhere in between?

Also, There is a UN treaty (The UN Small Arms Treaty) before the Senate.  Any treaty must be ratified by 2/3 vote in the senate before becoming law.  So far, this treaty does not have the support needed to become law.  Do you believe it should become law?  Do you believe the US should be under international law that is held above our own Constitution?

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (61-70):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Happiness is a warm gun, Bang bang shoot shoot,  When I hald you in my arms and i feel my finger on your trigger, I know, nobody can do me no harm.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I'll just snuggle my gun, it will never have fleas. Okay, I'm kidding :) We have attack cats as a first line of defense.

Quoting imagirlgeek:

I get why you'd prefer a dog too.  I can't snuggle a gun. :-)  Well...I guess I could, but that would be weird. lol

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I get what you're saying. Like I said, have no problem with having a gun. Personally, I'd prefer a well-trained dog named Kermit.

pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe that lawful Amercian citizens have the right to own guns for safety and hunting use. I also believe that some regulation is needed but too much can hurt the rights of citizens who legally own a gun. And I do not believe that international should superceed our own laws.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

The Beatles were being ironic.

Quoting Carpy:

Happiness is a warm gun, Bang bang shoot shoot,  When I hald you in my arms and i feel my finger on your trigger, I know, nobody can do me no harm.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I'll just snuggle my gun, it will never have fleas. Okay, I'm kidding :) We have attack cats as a first line of defense.

Quoting imagirlgeek:

I get why you'd prefer a dog too.  I can't snuggle a gun. :-)  Well...I guess I could, but that would be weird. lol

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I get what you're saying. Like I said, have no problem with having a gun. Personally, I'd prefer a well-trained dog named Kermit.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I would suggest two things.

1. Look at Obamas record as a state senator and you will find where she gets her info.

2. Read the UN treaty a bit closer.

Quoting Shilamarie:

OP, where do you get your info on what Obama believes on gun control? The only legislation he's signed in regards to gun rights was to expand them (allowing people to carry in national parks) Also, the UN treaty is to regulate the type of guns that can be sold between nations, not what private citizens of countries can own.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Quoting imagirlgeek:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

That may be true, but did you get my Kermit the dog joke? C'mon, I know you know that I know that you think that's hilarious.

Quoting Carpy:

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Quoting imagirlgeek:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

kschlag
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

And it's not just cities. 

Honestly, I have shot rifles and actually have NRA badge from when I was a kid.  My husband hunts and he and my son took hunter safety this fall.  In fact, I was pretty proud when he got birds his first two hunts.

But I also know that guns are dangerous, and there are too many opportunites for mistakes or when emotions get out of hand.  It's the carrying a gun around in public places that really scares me.  

I think responsible restrictions are important. Just thinking of the word concealed gives me the shivers.  If you want to pack heat, wear it where I can see it and stay clear!

Quoting matreshka:

I always appreciate a respectful disagreement.  I grew up and live in the suburbs near some pretty rough cities so the first thing that comes to my mind when guns are mentioned is violence in the city, not someone's ranching livelihood.  Also I've never shot a gun so the     description was helpful. Thanks :)

Still I have to say guns are an epidemic in the cities around here, with teenagers getting shot and killed.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

We definitely should not hold an international law above our own constitution.  As far as gun control I agree with Newt and Santorum that there has to be some restrictions for our safety but I strongly believe that citizens should have the right to bear arms.  

Shilamarie
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Quoting Carpy:

Yep, he's a dem who favors gun control measures....no big secret there. How he voted as a rep of a state on behalf of his constituents is one thing, the legislation he's asked for, introduced, and signed as president shows his position as rep of the country as a whole. He's not taking any guns, hasn't raised taxes or imposed surcharges on ammo, and has expanded rights of gun owners much to the chagrin of his own party.
As far as the treaty, you'll have to be more specific on which part I should read. Suggesting there's something in there contrary to our current laws about how our rights as private citizens are affected by it, w/o stating it here, makes me think you haven't read it yourself and want me to go do the research for you. Have a link showing how this treaty, IF it's even signed and ratified by 2/3rds of congress (highly unlikely), will infringe on the 2nd amendment, free to post it.
imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

LOL!  Awesome!  I love it!  That may actually be the best dog name ever.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Kermit the Dog...get it?  lol

Quoting imagirlgeek:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)