Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Planned Parenthood Says Virginia Ultrasound Law Akin To “Rape” … Fails To Mention They Require An Ultrasound Prior To Performing An Abortion

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

(Lifenews)

The Planned Parenthood abortion business has crated a firestorm of criticism for itself by making the wild-eyed claim that allowing women in Virginia a chance to see an ultrasound of their unborn child before the abortion is akin to rape.

However, new information has surfaced showing the abortion business already does pre-abortion ultrasounds on women to determine the age of the unborn child prior to the abortion — making it so the abortion business, in its own words, “rapes” women already. The question then becomes whether or not women will be allowed to see the ultrasound image or heart the audio of the heartbeat of their baby.

Alana Goodman of Commentary magazine says Planned Parenthood provides the following on a telephone hotline:

“Patients who have a surgical abortion generally come in for two appointments. At the first visit we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit generally takes about an hour. At the second visit, the procedure takes place. This visit takes about an hour as well. For out of town patients for whom it would be difficult to make two trips to our office, we’re able to schedule both the initial appointment and the procedure on the same day.

Medical abortions generally require three visits. At the first visit, we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit takes about an hour. At the second visit, the physician gives the first pill and directions for taking two more pills at home. The third visit is required during which you will have an exam and another ultrasound.”

"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." - Mother Teresa

by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM

They are saying being probed in the vagina for the sono is like rape. 

Virginia Poised To Enact ‘State-Sponsored Rape’ Law Forcing Women To Be Vaginally Probed Before Abortions

Earlier this month, a bill requiring women to receive an ultrasound before they can receive an abortion passed the Virginia senate, and it recently cleared a state house committee with an overwhelming majority. As Dahlia Lithwick explains, the effect of this bill would be to force most women to undergo a stunningly invasive procedure for no medical reason whatsoever. “Because the great majority of abortions occur during the first 12 weeks, that means most women will be forced to have a transvaginal procedure, in which a probe is inserted into the vagina, and then moved around until an ultrasound image is produced.”

In case Lithwick’s description doesn’t completely drive home what this means, here is a depiction of the procedure that women would be forced to endure under the Virginia bill:

Simply put, it is difficult to distinguish a law requiring women to be vaginally penetrated by a long metal object from state-sponsored rape. Worse, discussions among lawmakers leave little doubt that its supporters understood just what they were trying to write into law — they just didn’t care. As an unnamed lawmaker told a fellow Virginia delegate, a woman already consented to being “vaginally penetrated when they got pregnant.”

UPDATE

A previous version of this post attributed the quote about women consenting to vaginal penetration to Del. C. Todd Gilbert (R). That was an error. Gilbert said that “in the vast majority of these cases, [abortions] are matters of lifestyle convenience.” A different lawmaker suggested that women who consent to sex also consent to vaginal probing.

imamomzilla
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

the abortion business already does pre-abortion ultrasounds on women to determine the age of the unborn child prior to the abortion — making it so the abortion business, in its own words, “rapes” women already.

Momniscient
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Jeevus jumping jehosephat.

Someone write an article and say abortion business a bunch so pro lifers can get upset.

Lorraine6969
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Quoting Pema_Jampa:

They are saying being probed in the vagina for the sono is like rape. 

Virginia Poised To Enact ‘State-Sponsored Rape’ Law Forcing Women To Be Vaginally Probed Before Abortions

Earlier this month, a bill requiring women to receive an ultrasound before they can receive an abortion passed the Virginia senate, and it recently cleared a state house committee with an overwhelming majority. As Dahlia Lithwick explains, the effect of this bill would be to force most women to undergo a stunningly invasive procedure for no medical reason whatsoever. “Because the great majority of abortions occur during the first 12 weeks, that means most women will be forced to have a transvaginal procedure, in which a probe is inserted into the vagina, and then moved around until an ultrasound image is produced.”

In case Lithwick’s description doesn’t completely drive home what this means, here is a depiction of the procedure that women would be forced to endure under the Virginia bill:

Simply put, it is difficult to distinguish a law requiring women to be vaginally penetrated by a long metal object from state-sponsored rape. Worse, discussions among lawmakers leave little doubt that its supporters understood just what they were trying to write into law — they just didn’t care. As an unnamed lawmaker told a fellow Virginia delegate, a woman already consented to being “vaginally penetrated when they got pregnant.”

UPDATE

A previous version of this post attributed the quote about women consenting to vaginal penetration to Del. C. Todd Gilbert (R). That was an error. Gilbert said that “in the vast majority of these cases, [abortions] are matters of lifestyle convenience.” A different lawmaker suggested that women who consent to sex also consent to vaginal probing.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Non surgical abortions do not require ultrasounds.

cassnadrajones
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not agree with the law. I think its bull crap.

There is a such thing as too many children, ever herd of overpopulation? What happens when you can t feed all those children. Should they be aborted or allowed to slowly starve to death? Hmmm, I wonder which hurts less.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this

It's pretty sad when people can't discern the difference between a doctor recommended medical procedure and the government mandating a medical procedure.  It's not that difficult.

~ Words to memorize, words hypnotize Words make my mouth exercise. Words all fail the magic prize...~
im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

When you have an abortion they don't probe you. You can do an ultrasound without going inside a woman. When I was pregnant I had plenty of ultrasounds. They put an instrument over my belly and did an ultrasound that way.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It is meant as punishment for a perceived immoral act

Friday
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If they are already performing an ultrasound prior to the procedure then the law was unnecessary pandering to the pro-life crowd. However there is a huge difference between a medically necessary abdominal ultrasound and a govt mandated trans-vaginal us. Trans-vag is only done very early in the pregnancy and I don't know about now but when I had my abortion the clinic wouldn't even schedule me until 6 weeks after my LMP. I'm pretty sure an abdominal us would suffice by that time.

I'm still smh over the 'small govt Conservatives' who want to mandate unnecessary medical procedures. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN