Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor, On Ultrasound Mandate: Just 'Close Your Eyes'

Posted by   + Show Post

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor, On Ultrasound Mandate: Just 'Close Your Eyes'

During a discussion of a far-reaching mandatory ultrasound bill, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Wednesday dismissed off-handedly the insinuation that the measure goes too far, saying, "You just have to close your eyes."

Corbett reaffirmed his support for the "Women's Right to Know" Act, which would require doctors to perform an ultrasound on a patient, offer her two personalized copies of the image and play and describe fetal heartbeat in detail before she can have an abortion -- "as long as it's not obtrusive."

He did not indicate whether or not he considered a transvaginal ultrasound to be an intrusive procedure, which the bill would require doctors to perform on a woman whose fetus is not developed enough to be visible by a regular, "jelly-on-the-belly" ultrasound.

Asked if he thinks the bill goes too far to make a woman look at the ultrasound image, Corbett responded, "You can't make anybody watch, okay? Because you just have to close your eyes. As long as it's on the exterior and not the interior."

Pennsylvania's ultrasound bill, unlike the revised version passed in Virginia, does not specify a type of ultrasound, so the doctor will have to use an "interior" procedure for most first-trimester abortions in order to meet the requirements of the law.

Even if the woman opts to "close [her] eyes," as Corbett suggests, the doctor will have to turn the ultrasound image toward her face, give her two signed copies of the printed image, describe the number of heartbeats per minute and tell her if that's normal or not for a fetus of that age. She then has to wait 24 hours and bring all the signed paperwork and both ultrasound images to her abortion doctor in order to have the procedure legally, and the doctor has to repeat to her the age of the fetus.

The Pennsylvania House postponed a scheduled vote on the bill this week because of "concerns raised by the medical community, among others," according to House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R).

Patrick Murphy, a Democratic candidate for attorney general, called Corbett's comments "disturbingly offensive" and demanded that he apologize to Pennsylvania women.

"It's bad enough that Governor Corbett wants to force women to get an unnecessary and invasive procedure as a means of getting a government permission slip to undergo legal medical care," he said in a statement. "It's worse yet that he wants to shame them by shoving an ultrasound screen in their face. But it's unthinkable that he would so casually dismiss this by advising women to just close their eyes."

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Replies (41-50):
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Uh, no.  I was asking if you had had 4 pregnancies or 4 abortions because you had not made it clear so I asked for clarification purposes.  You stated that I had had 10 abortions when I said that I had been pregnant 10 times.  Big difference... I asked a question, you made an assumption.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's the exact statement I repeated back to you

I said I had 4 pregnancies

And you turn around and say 4 abortions?

I did the same to you

Get a mirror..

Quoting kailu1835:

That's not an ignorant statement.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

See

Your original ignorant statement

Quoting kailu1835:

4 abortions, or 4 pregnancies total?  Transvaginal ultrasounds are not done routinely with pregnancies.  I didn't mean to say that they are done with all pregnancies.  They are done for most abortions, because the majority are performed in the first trimester, and transvaginal is done up until 12 weeks.  If the abortion is performed in the second trimester, they wouldn't do a transvaginal ultrasound.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That's a lie

I've have 4 pregnancies , only 1 transvaginal ..it is not routine...

Quoting kailu1835:

The things is... these transvaginal ultrasounds are done anyway.  The procedure itself being mandated is no more or less intrusive than it has always been.  The intrusive part is making women see them who do not want to see them.

babiesbabybaby development

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Yes it was quite clear

I said I had 4 pregnancies, 1 transvaginal

You said you had 10

There is nothing confusing about my statement

Quoting kailu1835:

Uh, no.  I was asking if you had had 4 pregnancies or 4 abortions because you had not made it clear so I asked for clarification purposes.  You stated that I had had 10 abortions when I said that I had been pregnant 10 times.  Big difference... I asked a question, you made an assumption.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's the exact statement I repeated back to you

I said I had 4 pregnancies

And you turn around and say 4 abortions?

I did the same to you

Get a mirror..

Quoting kailu1835:

That's not an ignorant statement.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

See

Your original ignorant statement

Quoting kailu1835:

4 abortions, or 4 pregnancies total?  Transvaginal ultrasounds are not done routinely with pregnancies.  I didn't mean to say that they are done with all pregnancies.  They are done for most abortions, because the majority are performed in the first trimester, and transvaginal is done up until 12 weeks.  If the abortion is performed in the second trimester, they wouldn't do a transvaginal ultrasound.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That's a lie

Quoting kailu1835:

The things is... these transvaginal ultrasounds are done anyway.  The procedure itself being mandated is no more or less intrusive than it has always been.  The intrusive part is making women see them who do not want to see them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Going in circles is what you've done about everything here

Your lie about transvaginals and the ignorant 4 abortion commen

Quoting kailu1835:

Confronted about what??  Do YOU even know what you're talking about?  Or are you just going in circles?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

No..you insisted it was truth..even when confronted

Quoting kailu1835:

That is an accurate statement.  No lies.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

See, there's where you lied...

Couldn't quote Just that on my phone.

Quoting kailu1835:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You need some clarity.  Here it is.

I didn't make any comments about 4 abortions.  You said you had 4 pregnancies, only one transvaginal, after I made the statement about them being routine in the first trimester.  I asked, for clarification purposes, whether or not you had had 4 pregnancies ending in abortion since you had not made that very clear.  I never stated you had 4 abortions.  Got it now?  While asking whether or not they were abortions or just pregnancies, I clarified and amended MY original statement by stating that I wasn't talking about routine ultrasounds in pregnancies NOT ending in abortion.

Got it now?  No circles, just you either being deliberately obtuse or just truly not understanding what the heck I was talking about.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

Confronted about what??  Do YOU even know what you're talking about?  Or are you just going in circles?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Not what happened

Quoting kailu1835:

You need some clarity.  Here it is.

I didn't make any comments about 4 abortions.  You said you had 4 pregnancies, only one transvaginal, after I made the statement about them being routine in the first trimester.  I asked, for clarification purposes, whether or not you had had 4 pregnancies ending in abortion since you had not made that very clear.  I never stated you had 4 abortions.  Got it now?  While asking whether or not they were abortions or just pregnancies, I clarified and amended MY original statement by stating that I wasn't talking about routine ultrasounds in pregnancies NOT ending in abortion.

Got it now?  No circles, just you either being deliberately obtuse or just truly not understanding what the heck I was talking about.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting kailu1835:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Doonesbury

lga1965
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Transvaginal ultrasounds are not routine. In the case of a woman who has had a few miscarriages, the Doc might use one to check on the progress of the pregnancy. This happened with my daughter when she and her DH were trying to have another baby after 2 miscarriages. But she and other young women I know have not had a transvaginal ultrasound during normal pregnancies. Why would anyone have that? Its expensive amd a waste of health care funds. This ridiculous policy of giving them to women who have already decided to have an abortion is  harassment and totally wrong.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I never had a transvaginal ultrasound with my pregnancies.  They are not routine.

jesusismyfriend
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That's a lie

Quoting kailu1835:

In the wonderful state of pa it is or maybe it is the insurance because I had it donewith all 3 of my last pregnancies. I am not saying I agree with it. The flippin wand is very uncomfortable but regular ultrasounds why not you are already going to have one done to make sure baby is ok anyways.   Someone else also mentioned why not fix the economy.  Well I am sure they will be glad to know he has tightened the  states belts and has reduced spending.

Rip Amadeus Mozart 2/17/2006

imamomzilla
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM

surprised

That would be RAPE. Why do (some) libs resort to violent rhetoric like that? yuck.

Quoting PamR:

Quote:

Lets just stick that transvaginal wand up his ass and ask him to close his eyes when we show him the pictures. 
Yes!  Let's!

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."  

- Mark Twain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)