Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Iowa GOP candidate accidentally gives speech at democratic convention

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
Dan Dolan, Iowa GOP Candidate, Accidentally Gives Speech At Democratic Convention
The Huffington Post

Comments (21)

Who says Republicans and Democrats can’t be in the same room together?
That is exactly what happened on Saturday when Republican congressional candidate Dan Dolan of Muscatine, Iowa arrived at the Monroe County Courthouse in Albia, Iowa to speak at the Republican convention being held there.
The Democrats were also holding their county convention at the same building that day, however. After a staffer notified the venue that Dolan had arrived, he was whisked onstage to give his speech.
"Nobody asked enough questions before he started speaking," Monroe County supervisor Denny Ryan told the Quad-City Times. “It finally got to the point in the speech where one of the people said, ‘Are you sure you’re at the right convention?’”
According to the Quad-City Times Dolan took the gaffe very well, and even laughed when asked to describe the incident.
“It was a crazy day,” Dolan said. “We had scheduled 10 speaking engagements through the district.”
"My staffer runs up and says, ‘Hey, Dan Dolan is here. Can he speak?’ So they stopped everything, and I get up there and give my speech,” he said. “I get done, a guy raises his hand and says, ‘I think you want to talk to the Republicans.’”
The Democratic convention was scheduled to begin at 11 a.m., with the Republican convention later that afternoon, at 1 p.m. Dolan had arrived early for the Republican event, contributing to the mixup.
Dolan and his campaign staff made sure not to make the same mistake a second time, however.
“From that point on, we checked at every place we stopped,” Dolan said. “We said, ‘Is this the Republican convention?’”

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM

How embarrassing lol

KhaysJadie
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM

That's funny in a very charming kind of way.  :) I think it says something that the audience waited until the end of his speech to point out his mistake. If it happened the way he says, with someone saying, "I think you want to talk to the Republicans." That's nice. No rudeness, ect.

lga1965
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM

ooooooops.  embarrassed mini

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Sounds like an honest mix up from both parties.  

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM
That is hilarious. I wonder if any of the Dems in the room liked what he had to say.
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Oh gosh.... I'm Republican and that's funny!  Unfortunately, something like this can be the downfall of your bid.

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM

LOL too funny!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)