Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

John McCain: Arizona Contraception Bill Should Be Vetoed - I think we ought to respect the right of women to make choices in their lives

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM
  • 51 Replies

John McCain: Arizona Contraception Bill Should Be Vetoed

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview on Sunday that he opposes a controversial bill moving through the Arizona legislature that would let employers restrict health insurance coverage of contraception to only those cases when a woman can prove a need for it because of a medical reason, such as endometriosis or an ovarian cyst.

The GOP-sponsored bill, which would put some women in the uncomfortable position of having to explain to their boss why they use birth control, already passed in the state House of Representatives and was endorsed by a Senate committee last week. McCain said, however, it has little chance of becoming law.

"I am confident that that legislation will not reach the governor's desk, and if it did it would be vetoed," McCain said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "It certainly doesn't reflect, in my view, the majority view of the people of Arizona."

McCain's staunch opposition to the contraception measure might be surprising to some, considering that he recently voted for Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt's similar amendment, calling for employers to deny contraception coverage to women for religious or moral reasons. But when host David Gregory asked McCain whether there is a "war on women" among Republicans, McCain said that Republicans needed to "get off" the issue of birth control and "respect the right of women to make choices."

"I think we have to fix that," he said. "There's a perception out there because of the way that this whole contraception issue played out ... We need to get off of that issue. In my view, I think we ought to respect the right of women to make choices in their lives and make that clear and to get back onto what the American people really care about -- jobs and the economy."

**even McCain admits its the REPUBLICANS taking the focus OFF jobs and onto WOMENS RIGHTS

by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Every once and a while, well, twice now, McCain has come out with something that made sense.  This and the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law.

I do think jobs and the economy should be the #1 issue in the race.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

They keep trying to say...dems are distracting with these non issues...

But it's republicans writing BILLS to strip women of their rights!

and get mad when we call them on it??!! yea right...

Quoting matreshka:

Every once and a while, well, twice now, McCain has come out with something that made sense.  This and the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law.

resipsa
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting matreshka:

I dont live in Arizona and I suspect you dont either, so you really should be less worried about what Arizona chooses to do (like giving employers freedom) and more worried about what the federal government is doing (taking freedom away in a naked power grab) - and it isnt a republican who is the HHS secretary promulgating these regulations.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting matreshka:

I dont live in Arizona and I suspect you dont either, so you really should be less worried about what Arizona chooses to do (like giving employers freedom) and more worried about what the federal government is doing (taking freedom away in a naked power grab) - and it isnt a republican who is the HHS secretary promulgating these regulations.

Its MULTIPLE republicans in MULTIPLE states stripping women of their RIGHTS

You should be worried no matted WHAT state you live in....INJUSTICE anywhere is a threat to JUSTICE everywhere

are you suggestion I should be OK with certain Americans losing their RIGHTS because they live in another state?

NOT OK TO ME

how many ABORTION BILLS have been passed and flotaed since 2010?

it isnt teh DEMS pulling these topics from their ASS.....its the republicans stripping Americans rights

resipsa
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting matreshka:

You should be worried no matted WHAT state you live in....INJUSTICE anywhere is a threat to JUSTICE everywhere

are you suggestion I should be OK with certain Americans losing their RIGHTS because they live in another state?

NOT OK TO ME

it isnt teh DEMS pulling these topics from their ASS.....its the republicans stripping Americans rights

i get it, you hate the GOP. but dont let your hate bllind you to what the democrats are doing at the national level. they're the ones taking away rights, and this isnt "proposed legislation", this is under adminitrative regulations that are final.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting matreshka:

NOT OK TO ME

i get it, you hate the GOP. but dont let your hate bllind you to what the democrats are doing at the national level. they're the ones taking away rights, and this isnt "proposed legislation", this is under adminitrative regulations that are final.

I want womens rights protected doesn't = I hate the GOP..thats just stupid

President Obama hasn't taken any rights away

The_Doodle
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

It's about time some politicians are coming out of this not looking like idiotic douchebags.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
McCain makes sense...

Many don't like him but I'm sure they can agree with him on this...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Quoting resipsa:

QFT.

("Quoted For Truth")

:)

resipsa
by Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting resipsa:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting matreshka:

NOT OK TO ME

I want womens rights protected doesn't = I hate the GOP..thats just stupid

President Obama hasn't taken any rights away

president Obama has taken rights away from every employer, including the right to decide whether to provide insurance coverage or not and the right to decide what coverage will be included in policies it does provide - with the employers' own money!

open your eyes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)